how do you tune a Cajon?

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

how do you tune a Cajon?

Postby ok2go » Thu May 15, 2008 9:53 pm

I can't seem to find good instructions on this topic anywhere. My meinl headliner cajon came without instructions but I assume the snares and front plate are ment to be adjustible. I don't want to start unscrewing the whole thing without getting some advice...

So any tips on getting a better sound out of an inexpensive Cajon? Which screws should I mess around with? Anyone else with the Meinl Headliner series cajon have some ideas? Modifications to tweak the drum? Thanks!
ok2go

Re: how do you tune a Cajon?

Postby Tonio » Fri May 16, 2008 4:22 am

where is your allen wrench? The adjustment is with an allen wrench, so there should be a allen head srcrew to adjust.
I don't own one, but I have seen it adjusted. Just on't remember where it was, possibly on the top of the front surface?
T
Tonio

Postby ok2go » Fri May 16, 2008 9:21 pm

Yes, I've attempted tighting/loosening the snare string with the allen wrench.. The string rings/buzzes a bit too much even when tighten. I will try to put some tape over the strings to muffel the buzz a little to see if that helps. I still can't tell the difference with adjusting the corner screws.

Any ideas?
ok2go

Postby Diceman » Mon May 19, 2008 5:53 pm

ok2go,

Good idea to tape the strings except for the upper third, paper masking tape is good. You should then tighten the strings to give you the snare sound you want, tighter gives short 'rattle', longer ....... It also has a lot to do with how and where you hit it, so technique is paramount.

I dont loosen any front screws, but some players loosen only the top corners, any others will damage the bass tone. The aim is to get a 'slap/ cross stick' sound when you hit the corners, try it and have fun, a great instrument.

suave
Diceman
Diceman

Postby Mike » Mon May 19, 2008 6:04 pm

I´ve got a selfmade cajon with strings and I also tape halfway down the middle.
Peace & drum
Mike

Return to Other instruments