Made a Palito today! - ...or bamboo crafts at home

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Re: Made a Palito today! - ...or bamboo crafts at home

Postby bongosnotbombs » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:11 pm

I used the bamboo available to me. The 5" diameter the nodes were too short. The 4" diameter had nodes that were long enough and sounded fine. Mine have held up very well and used for many rumbas. All the feedback I've gotten from people I've sold my instruments too has been good as well.
bongosnotbombs

Postby KidCuba » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:57 am

Thanks for the responses.

I found a bamboo supplier down in the Whittier area of Los Angeles. A 12' pole runs $25.00, so I am going to go buy some this weekend and make a few guaguas.

Will put up pictures of the end result.
Triple Pulse Conga Practice- http://www.larumbero.com
KidCuba

You make your own palitos?

Postby Miguel7 » Mon May 02, 2011 1:10 pm

Hey, that's pretty cool! I have a pair of palitos I got from a Puerto Rican online store, and even though they are humble instruments (essentially just a pair of sticks) they're pretty versatile. I use mine as claves and also to play a steady beat (pulse) in plena jams. One question though: what are the "palito patterns" you play? I didn't know there were very many out there. :)
Miguel7

Re: You make your own palitos?

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed May 04, 2011 2:31 pm

Miguel7 wrote:Hey, that's pretty cool! I have a pair of palitos I got from a Puerto Rican online store, and even though they are humble instruments (essentially just a pair of sticks) they're pretty versatile. I use mine as claves and also to play a steady beat (pulse) in plena jams. One question though: what are the "palito patterns" you play? I didn't know there were very many out there. :)

Well for rumba we use at least 5 over here, 3 different variations for Guaguanco, a pattern for Yambu and a different one for Columbia. Then there are still more for the different folkloric rhythms.
bongosnotbombs

Postby Mr. Conga » Wed May 04, 2011 10:08 pm

The proper namefor the instrument is " KATA" the palitos are like the drum sticks you use toplay adrum, the sticks, the KATA is the bamboo piece use to play Rumba,columbia, folkloric rhythms, used to mark beat,to drive the beat like the campana. :mrgreen:
Mr. Conga

Postby Miguel7 » Thu May 05, 2011 12:48 am

That's an interesting bit of information. I'm not much of a rumbero (though I do play guaguancó in salsa arrangements sometimes) so I've never heard that term before. I've always called them palitos (and I suppose that's what they call them in PR, too) but if I'm ever jammin' with rumberos I'll have 2 remember that :)
Miguel7

Postby KidCuba » Thu May 05, 2011 2:23 pm

I wonder where the term "palitos" originated from? Might it be a more Puerto Rican specific term for kata?

A lot of the Puerto Rican players I have met refer to the cata, as palitos. The Cubans tend to go with gua gua, at least the ones I have met.
KidCuba

Postby bongosnotbombs » Thu May 05, 2011 4:45 pm

Palitos refers to the sticks you play the cata with. You can also refer to the cata as a guagua. "Cata" is an onomatopoeia, guagua is slang for a bus, a reference to the "driving" nature of the instrument. One typically plays the palitos on the cata and guagua, you can play palitos on the side of a drum or tumbadora as some do.

You can refer correctly to playing the part using all three terms; however the sticks are the palitos and the instrument is cata and guagua.
bongosnotbombs

Exactly.

Postby Miguel7 » Tue May 10, 2011 2:15 pm

"Palitos" actually means "little sticks", and that is pretty much what they're called in boricua music (jíbaro music mostly but also called that in a lot of the fusions like salsa/plena). I've heard of guagua (meaning bus) but never heard the palitos called that lol.

So "cata" or "kata" or "guagua" are rhythms, then? Or are they just alternate names for the palitos? Also how are these names pronounced (i.e. is it more like cáta or catá / where's teh emphasis?).

BTW, thanks to the person who started this thread - who would have thought such a cool discussion would come from instruments as simple as the palitos? :D
Miguel7

Postby KidCuba » Sun May 15, 2011 3:49 pm

Ok, I got my bamboo and have been tinkering with the design for a cata/kata/guagua/palitos/"what is that bamboo thing"...

My cuts were done with a regular saw, but now I'm contemplating a slit or holes for the sound opening.

Holes seem easier to me, since all I got is a hand saw, drill, and a small electric hand saw.

Any suggestions on what sort of drill bits to use to make the holes, or what sort of saw to use if I go with a slit?
KidCuba

Postby Chupacabra » Mon May 16, 2011 1:24 am

I recommend either a forstner bit or a brad point bit. Preferably Forstner because it is easier to find the size you will need for the holes. Either one will do a much cleaner jon than a twist drill. I suggest covering the area you will be drilling through with 2 inch wide masking tape that already has the holes marked before you attach it to the round surface. It also helps reduce tear out. Make sure you have a real good grip on it if you are using a hand drill!

Ganbatte
Last edited by Chupacabra on Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
... --- ... ... --- ... ...---...
Chupacabra

Postby bongosnotbombs » Mon May 16, 2011 4:06 am

I use one of those saw drill bits, the bigger the better. Use a jig saw for cutting a slit. I've found the holes to be easier to make and more durable.
bongosnotbombs

Postby KidCuba » Mon May 16, 2011 4:17 am

Thanks for the feed back guys, much appreciated.

Go to make a run to the local hardware store tomorrow, I will keep you updated....
KidCuba

Postby KidCuba » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:35 am

Finally got around to cutting down my bamboo.

Quick question. The membrane which is at the connection of each section, do you guys clean/hollow this out or keep the membranes in tact?
KidCuba

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:09 pm

Keep it.
bongosnotbombs

PreviousNext

Return to Other instruments