Jamaican marumba - is the marumba a Jamaican marimbula?

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Re: Jamaican marumba - is the marumba a Jamaican marimbula?

Postby kkhemet » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:57 pm

This instrument is found throughout the Caribbean, not necessarily transplanted from Cuba, but direct from Africa. In Jamaica the instrument is commonly known as Rhumba-box, Church and Clap (because of it's use in the pentecostal churches of Jamaica), Jazz Jim, etc. Marumba seems to be a variation on a theme, i.e. a combination of Marimbula and Rhumba-box.

The instrument has been used for decades by Jamaican Mento bands and prior to that by the Rastafarian community. You can find an old recording of the instrument on the Folkways label. I don't remember the name of the album, but it should not be hard to find. It comes complete with a booklet describing the musical selections, the musicians and the cultural context that created the music.

For more info on the origins of Marimbula you can reference Credo Vusamazulu's book Indaba My Children, also known as My People My Africa, currently being sold under another title, which devalues the importance of his writings to the level of childrens' folktales. Nevertheless, he tells of the origin of all the first musical instruments and the Goddess who created them, Queen Marimba. So far, his story is the only credible account of the origins of a number of instruments, which originated in Africa and are now found throughout the diaspora with various names recalling this African queen.
kkhemet

Postby kkhemet » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:27 am

It's good to know there's someone else out there with similar interests. I've been studying, what I call the Marimba family of instruments since the mid 80's as a grad student in Ethnomusicology at UCLA. The university environment was a little too confining and the knowledge of the professors on campus much too limited for me, so I left UCLA and headed for Seattle where the knowledge of Marimba and Mbira is much more prevalent.

I have also lost much of my research and have to now rely on what I remember. I managed to salvage a few things, but much of what I lost is recoverable. Your research is of great interest to me and I would love to see a copy of any documentation that you're able to salvage.

I'm also a instrument maker/player who has made Mbira, Marimba Kidogo, Marimbula, etc. from scratch. Without a proper teacher I've had to teach myself how to make these instruments. When possible I've been able to access actual instruments, but oftentimes I've only had pictures to go by and had to experiment with construction techniques and dimensions.

Looking forward to hearing from you in the near future.
kkhemet

Postby kkhemet » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:29 am

Thanks for the great pictures. I've yet to see Ortiz's book. I'm now anxious to get my hands on a copy.
kkhemet

Postby kkhemet » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:41 am

Dumisani Maraire made a statement in an interview on KPFA in Californnia that Mbira used to be called Marimba, but that for some reason, unknown to him, the name had been changed to Mbira. In fact, the Mozambiquean Marimbas are called Mbira (Mbila) (singular) and Timbira (plural). These same Mozambiquean Timbira are the ancestors of the modern-day Marimbas of Zimbabwe. So, we can see a direct connection between Mbira and Marimba.
kkhemet

Postby Jerry Bembe » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:17 am

I have always loved this instrument too. I have played the Kalimba previously and I stumbled across a fine custom instrument builder from Oregon whho builds Marimbulas.

The Marimbula Josh at JBH built has a 3 1/2 octave range from G1 to C5. The Sharps and Flats are on one box and the White keys are on the other box. The instrument is also amplified with 2 piezio pickups in the smaller box and 3 piezio pickups in the larger box.

I can share more later if you are interested.

Jerry
Attachments
Marimbula Chromatic.JPG
Custom 3 1/2 Octave Marimbula
Jerry Bembe

Postby bongosnotbombs » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:36 am

Believe it or not Gon Bops is making Marimbulas now. I tried one at Haight Ashbury Music, a very fine instrument.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gon-Bops-Ma ... 1529526.gc
Attachments
GonBopsMarimbula.jpg
GonBopsMarimbula.jpg (9.14 KiB) Viewed 3647 times
bongosnotbombs

Previous

Return to Other instruments