Choosing pandeiro

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby Jonegy » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:06 pm

Having struggled a month on a 12" GOPE plastic head I am still banging my "heels" on the tuning rods - also even with the head well slack and taped there still seems to be a lot of resonance.

Anyway - I thought I may do better with a 10" goatskin and am down to any one of these ; "RMV", "o Professional Seresta" - or a slightly dearer o Proffesional. I have also been looking at a Contemperaneo which at £70 + is a little dearer but would it be worth the lay out ??

(I also looked at the "Meinl" but noticed on an earlier post that for a Repenique the RMV was recommended over Meinl)

Any help/advice appreciated

John W
Player of all - Master of None ! ;)
Jonegy

Postby Garvin » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:40 pm

Hi...

I don't know anything about your background, but here are some tips that I picked up in my short time with the pandiero.

Try tuning up more than you think you need to. There should be a resonant tone, but you should also be able to press the head and bring the tone up as well. As far as hitting the heel of your hand, this needs to be fixed by working on your basic technique. I find that the heel of my hand does make some regular contact with the hooks, and that's just something I learned to live with. Obviously you don't want to be hammering your hand with those hooks though, ouch!

I hae a GOPE 12" with a plastic head and an RMV 12" with a skin head. I actually prefer the attack on the Gope, and find the finger slides easier on that one as well. I do like the tone of the RMV better, and maybe I just haven't broken it in enough yet.

Check out youtube, theres probably a ton of things to study out there.

Also, if you have a chance check out a 10". It is far more forgiving on your forearms and sounds really cool when tuned down low.

Good Luck!
Garvin

Postby Ben » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:41 pm

I would suggest looking on pandeiro.com. I'm in the process of picking up a drum from Scott, who runs the website and has been very helpful. And the pandeiros look great at well.

Edited By Ben on 1194046901
Ben

Postby Jonegy » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:45 am

Thanks for the replies gents.

Garvin : I've been into latin since the late 60's - mainly Brazilian. Have been accompanying my music albums with guitar for years then was given a cavaquinho 3 yrs ago and am just getting to be comfortable with that.
Recently given a DVD of Paulinho Silva so had to try out the pandeiro. - Musically - basically, if it makes noises, I can generally get a tune out of it ( Player of all - Master of none :;): ) - therefore got the cheap GOPE............ which leads me to.....

Ben : Great site - many thanks - being able to hear the gear has sorted out my resonance problem - it's the plastic head, so seems that it's normal.

Thanks again for the info. Looks like the RMV has the vote so far.

Oh - btw - recently retired and in my 2nd childhood and....... being divorced and can bang about and play to my hearts content :D
Player of all - Master of None ! ;)
Jonegy

Re: Choosing pandeiro

Postby JAmesS » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:56 am

I'm really devoted to the 10" o Profissional serestas-- they're a bit heavier and deeper-shelled than they used to be, but they feel good once you get used to them, and they have the best platinellas of any factory-made pandeiro I've come across. (And that's 90% of the sound right there!)
JAmesS

Postby dr_warson » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:32 am

Hi, gays! What do you think about MEINEL pandeiro?
dr_warson

Postby ok2go » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:43 pm

I agree that a 10" pandeiro is the way to go. A pandeiro designed for choro is even better as it is very light and crisp, but very hard to find in the US.

I have an inexpensive 10" pandeiro, calfskin. I've put some masking tape on the underside and that cuts out a lot of the overtones and sounds pretty good. The jingles are however too loose, too much space in it's "slot". Not a problem when playing slow rhythms or capoeira but anything fast does not sound good.

Does anyone have tips on putting something in the slot as to further muffle the jingles? Ideas?
ok2go

Return to Other instruments