Great sounding catá?

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby Richard Groff » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:07 pm

Anyone happen to know anyone who makes a great sounding catá? I checked out the one made by pearl, but unfortunaltely its more convenience than sound (kinda like the guataca they make...).

Thanks in advance!
Richard Groff

Postby blango » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:46 am

Richard,

I have one that sounds sweet.

Its a plant stand from the local import store. $7

its about a half and inch thick, six inches in diameter, and about 18" long Bamboo.

I cut the bottom out but did not cut into the bamboo, as others ive seen.

It cracked after much use, so i wraped the ends with cow hide strips soaked, then dried tight. its holding together well.

Everyone loves the sound of this Cata. It works great between the knees.

Tony
blango

Postby guarachon63 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:11 pm

What's wrong with the one made by pearl exactly? I was thinking of picking one up, have you seen one in stock in any of the stores in NY?

I had a bamboo one but it cracked to, I used radiator hose clamps to seal it back up.

I just wish everyone would stop using the jam block, it's suitable only for rumbas in Madison Square Garden! :)
===================================
http://esquinarumbera.blogspot.com
guarachon63

Postby Whopbamboom » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:06 pm

I have a friend that just came up with some bamboo, about 1/2" to 3/4" thick walls, and total diameter maybe 2" to 3-1/2". I think he's planning on selling some of it, and so I'm thinking of buying some to make some various percussion instruments.

I do not know what variety of bamboo it is, nor do I know anything about bamboo. All I can say is that it is nice fat bamboo (though NOT anything like 6" diameter!), with segments that are about a foot long, and it is kind of green-ish in color.

What should I look for in bamboo? How should it be dried out and prepared?
Whopbamboom

Postby Whopbamboom » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:10 pm

Richard Groff wrote:Anyone happen to know anyone who makes a great sounding catá? I checked out the one made by pearl, but unfortunaltely its more convenience than sound (kinda like the guataca they make...).

Thanks in advance!

One thing I can tell you about this factory-made stuff is that, just like hand-made stuff, the sound can vary from instrument to instrument, even if those instruments are supposedly identical.

I happen to have two LP rock ridge-rider cowbells, and the sound is VERY different between the two.

I also have heard two different Rhythm Tech tambourines, and although they look identical, one is sharper and more cutting while the other is more subdued.

I have no doubt that if you tried different Pearl cata's, you'd find great varience in sound.

Just some food for thought.

Edited By Whopbamboom on 1185822667
Whopbamboom

Postby Tonio » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:41 pm

I ordered Pearls Cata about 2 weeks ago. Pearl themselves are out, so the next ocean shipment is in AUgust sometime, and my order will be be drop shipped to me. Yeah right.
As soon as I get it, I will be making my own bamboo part. Basically I bought the Pearl Cata for the stand for $23 not bad, but I can't weld at this point. I can make the bamboo part.
The bamboo should be weathered I would suppose. I have seen Cata that has no opening , and ones that have a slit on the body, and an opening on one of the end -like Pearl.
I have a good supplier in town of bamboo, so I should be able to try different sizes and length etc.

T
Tonio

Postby Richard Groff » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:18 am

guarachon63 wrote:What's wrong with the one made by pearl exactly? I was thinking of picking one up, have you seen one in stock in any of the stores in NY?

I had a bamboo one but it cracked to, I used radiator hose clamps to seal it back up.

I just wish everyone would stop using the jam block, it's suitable only for rumbas in Madison Square Garden! :)

I can't say there is anything "wrong" with it, especially if you've been used to hearing jam block! :O

I think the Pearl folkloric gear is very convenient to mount and so forth, but sounds a little wimpy. I had the same problem with the guataca. I bought one for the ease of mounting but it sounds nothing close to my iron hoe blade I bought from an industrial farm tool outlet. I did, however take the metal strikers Pearl provided and put some tubing on the end to make a great striker with great results. IMO, I think of the Pearl gear as great if you're mounting it on a drum set up or as part of a pop/rock percussionists arsenal of gear, but it doesn't hold up in a street rumba or ceremony.

again... your milage may vary... I was kinda hoping there was some freak out there who spends their time in search of the perfect bamboo :D
Richard Groff

Postby Tonio » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:54 am

Richard Groff wrote:again... your milage may vary... I was kinda hoping there was some freak out there who spends their time in search of the perfect bamboo :D

Call me a freak, but I've got it on the backburner LOL :D Other things are taking precedence at the moment.
I will be looking at possibly making a few when I can muster the thought of getting my nagen off of congas/bongos for a bit. Actually I'm at a waiting game at this point with my Moperc bongo order, so maybe I'll start this weekend.

T
Tonio

Postby Jongo » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:10 pm

Unfortunately I am one of the people that has been using a synthetic block. It works for some applications but I need something that sounds more authentic. I think I am going to have to go shopping for some bamboo as well. How do you mount a cata? A friend of mine had one but I cannot remember how he had it mounted.
Jongo

Postby congamyk » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:56 am

This has been discussed in another thread.

IMO the Pearl cata is a fantastic instrument and is very cheap. It mounts easily and is plenty loud enough for outdorr rumbas. I use it in Loose Park every Sunday and everyone loves the sound.
congamyk

Postby Jongo » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:37 pm

The pearl cata has been discussed in other threads

I am not a big fan of it, I am just looking for a different sound, a little more rustic and overall just better.
Jongo

Postby jorge » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:22 pm

I played the Pearl cata at a rumba last night. It sounded great, although the one we had was cracked (maybe that enhanced the sound). This was the bamboo cata, not the yellow Pearl jam block.

After the person with the Pearl cata took it home, we were left with my LP red and blue jam blocks, which don't sound anywhere near as good. Their sound is less typical, they have a resonance that seems to make the timing less precise and is harder for the drummers to hear and follow. The LP jam blocks pitch is closer to the claves we were using, and doesn't cut through the rumba as clearly as the real dry bamboo sound of the Pearl cata. Last night was a pretty good AB test, and I definitely liked the sound of the bamboo better. If you can keep it from cracking (don't use real heavy sticks and don't let people play it drunk), it sounds great. Even better, it doesn't hurt your ears or those of the drummer who may be sitting a foot away. Highly recommended for rumbas, although it probably won't last as long as the plastic jam blocks, which will last for decades if they don't get stolen.
jorge

Postby bongosnotbombs » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:31 pm

I guy I know was playing a cata made from a 3 or 4 inch diameter pvc pipe, it did'nt sound bad at all, had a couple of holes drilled into it

Durable for sure, nowhere near as loud as those blocks.
bongosnotbombs

Postby guarachon63 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:11 am

It sounded great, although the one we had was cracked (maybe that enhanced the sound).

This could very well be the case!
Many guaguas in Cuba are (were?) also simply small rectangular boxes made of wood, and played with sticks or spoons, as in the old days, I would like to see that tradition come back...
===================================
http://esquinarumbera.blogspot.com
guarachon63

Postby Thomas Altmann » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:36 pm

Funny; I had a bamboo segment and wanted to drill it and saw a slit into it. For several years I was too lazy to pick it up. Then the thing split, and there I had my slit.

It doesn't have the lows I wish it had, but it does sound hollow, funky, and LOUD. And different.

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Next

Return to Other instruments