How to Play Cabasa - Any proper technique?

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby bongosnotbombs » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:49 pm

Started playing with a ska band, and they wanted me to play the Cabasa on a few songs....that little thing is trickier than it looks.

Ska wants a shakka shak kind of rhtyhm with the Cabasa, but my arms and hands start hurting after about a minute and a half, I think it's my technique...

Anyways, how do you play this crazy thing?

I guess they are also called afuche..

Edited By bongosnotbombs on 1190746312

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... Cabasa.jpg
bongosnotbombs

Postby guarachon63 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:41 pm

I never had any luck with those LP ones - the beads always seemed too tight to get any good movement.

I've found the Brazilian ones (aka "Afoxe") that are just loosely strung around a serrated gourd much easier.

You cradle it in one hand and twist the small end (in the case of the LP version, "the handle") with the other: "Shakka Shak"
===================================
http://esquinarumbera.blogspot.com
guarachon63

Postby OLSONGO » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:15 pm

Bros , when you purchase one of this you make sure is a bit loose, or if the one you have feels tight, just spray some oil.
To play it you rest it in one of the hands and with the other hand apply some pressure on the beads and twist the handle; the twists may be short or long. After that is all creativity and feel. You may get tire at first , but like with everything else... as you practice, it goes away.
Also you may strike it at times instead of applying pressure to the beads, and at times just twist your wrist and let the beads do the work. Again is all creativity... you can throw it up in the air, etc. etc.

Paz Olsongo
OLSONGO

Postby tamboricua » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:29 pm

Guys,

You can stretch the bead chains using a screwdriver.

Hope this helps!!!

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1190759436
tamboricua

Postby Sakuntu » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:08 am

Use 2 hands when playing...what i mean is don't just hold it still with your left hand and twist with the right...as you twist with the right, twist the opposite way with the left...this helps with the feel and also makes it easier on your unused cabasa muscles :D it helps if you hold it up a little to--northwest as opposed to straight flat.
Sakuntu
Sakuntu

Postby congamyk » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:27 am

Sakuntu wrote:Use 2 hands when playing...what i mean is don't just hold it still with your left hand and twist with the right...as you twist with the right, twist the opposite way with the left...this helps with the feel and also makes it easier on your unused cabasa muscles :D it helps if you hold it up a little to--northwest as opposed to straight flat.

exactly... use BOTH hands, not just the twisting hand.
Using both hands to turn the beads results in a truer sound and keeps your hands strong.

BNB search youtube.com and other search engines for videos.
There are a few decent ideas about technique and approach that you will find interesting.

Edited By congamyk on 1190780941
congamyk

Postby Diceman » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:40 am

Stretching the beads is an excellent idea, it gives more subtle control for less work. It worked for me

suave
Diceman

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:58 pm

Thanks for all the tips guys, I knew there was something more to it!
bongosnotbombs

Postby Tonio » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:19 pm

Use pledge or whatever to keep it lubricated for smooth playability. Speaking of which I have'nt played mine in a while, I have LPs large & small.

There is a cool trick: :laugh:
w/ your right hand (if right handed)while standing- start
about waiste high and move upward while turning the afuche counterclockwise. Keep it horizontal throughout the stroke. About the time your reach the
highest point of stroke (about head high)- reverse the motion: go back down, but turn the it clockwise.
results in a long continuous note.
It takes a while to master, but a cool trick.

T

Edited By Tonio on 1190830968
Tonio

Postby Congadelica » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:04 pm

I think this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP0biK6td4E

Is a pretty good demonstration

marco
Congadelica

Postby OLSONGO » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:45 pm

I have also seen where you can slide it up your leg, slap it on the hand , let it spin by a twist of the wrist and back to the leg as shown in the utube demo.

Paz Olsongo
OLSONGO

Postby zaragenca » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:19 pm

I use one all the timein jamming and recording with practice and the above recomendations a person could do a good job with it.Dr.Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists
zaragenca

Postby Whopbamboom » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:20 am

Might seem like an obvious question, but I'd rather ask it before damaging a cabasa...

Just how delicate are those bead wires on the cabasa? If I stretch one with a screwdriver, how gentle do I need to be, and how far can I stretch one before it breaks?
Whopbamboom

Postby OLSONGO » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:50 am

WBB, they are made of metal, so any stretching you do ; will just open the holes that contain the link and will eventually give and come apart.

Paz Olsongo

PS What I have done... is cut a cabasa in half to make it lighter and I still keep the same effect.

Edited By OLSONGO on 1191199873
OLSONGO

Re:

Postby shor » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:25 am

Congadelica wrote:I think this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP0biK6td4E

Is a pretty good demonstration

marco

Great video, I have to acquire one.
shor

Next

Return to Other instruments