Who makes a good doumbek?

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby Tuco » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:56 am

Greetings everyone,

I'm familiar with all the brands and producers of Latin percussion, but just getting started with some of the Middle-Eastern and North African instruments.

This particular drum is variously called a darbouka, derbouka, darabukka, doumbek, dumbek, doumbek, tarabuka, darbakeh, etc. Essentially the same as far as I know, but playing methods vary.

Can you point me to a good source / brand for doumbeks?

I tend to like traditional sound and natural materials in general, but I'm open to modern materials if it provides a overwhelming advantage in tuning, durability, etc. The rounded-rim style seems a lot friendlier.

Any input on this would be much appreciated, thanks!
Tuco
Tuco

Postby el_frenko » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:22 pm

i don't know much about brands, but i can tell you that while the curved rim is the most popular (by a mile) it is also the most expensive. a curved rim is at least 3 times as expensive as a square rim, but everyone who plays doumbek properly seems to have a curved one.

I've got a square rim one cos im a cheapass and i dnt play it very much. its made by the Turkish Cymbals company and cost me £25.

as for brands, remo seem to do some nice ones, other than that you may want to go for an oldschool handmade turkish one.

hope that helps!
el_frenko

Postby zaragenca » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:44 pm

Yes those Arabian countries with tradition of fabricating those percussion instruments are pretty good bet,Turkish,Morocco,etc.,but now the instrument became generic,so they could be fabricated in Africa and Asia,..the quality and sound is going to be related to the shells which could be from synthetic,..to,..Wood,Aluminum,Ceramic,,etc.Dr. Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists
zaragenca

Postby gilbert » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

egyptians are excellent in darbouka industry
one of the most commun is called " Jawharat al Fan"
gilbert

Return to Other instruments