Samba lovers?

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby Juzzi » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:03 pm

Hello guys.
Are there any people who are addicted to samba and other Brazilian music? There has been so little conversation about that stuff and that's why I wanted to start a new topic.

-J
Juzzi

Postby yalla » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:11 am

Not totally addicted, but like it very much, especially the most traditional and folk part, as candomble. I had the chance to particiapte to a stage with Gilson Silveira, a great brazilian percussionist living in Italy - which was very exciting. He taught us some folk samba (and similar) rhythms, some tips on samba enredo, and some Orixa's toques patterns.
This was just one day, it was like tasting this world, and made me want to know more and more...
Now I'm trying to build up a baterìa in my town (where nothing similar even exists) - with the aim to creat the first Samba School around here ever...
nadie se salva de la rumba
yalla

Postby Liverneck » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:06 pm

I love Samba! For one thing... It's one of the few styles of music that I can actually dance to. As far as playing it, some of the funnest times playing have been with a bateria. I'm very addicted to playing Samba grooves and rhythms on drumset. Love to treat the toms like surdos and keep various claves on the snare. What a rush!!
Liverneck

Postby zaragemca » Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:18 pm

Samba have been incorporated in to my percussion Ensemble since 1997,by the way a group of people from a Brazil's Samba-School visited my Drum-Circle a few years ago an took some pictures and a video of it.About three of my students have been in Bahia.
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby Tamborim » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:42 pm

Hello. My respects.

Yes, it is true. I am totally addicted to Brazilian music.

I look forward to discussing it on this thread. I am nearly out of time here now. I will try to visit again soon.

Edited By Tamborim on 1104349407
Tamborim

Postby Jongo » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:31 pm

Hey, I love music from Brasil! I am very fortunate and I play with a percussion ensemble and we play some Samba, Samba Reggae, Timbalada, and some other stuff. Of course since we are a bunch of amateurs we don't sound as good as they do in Brasil but we have a lot of fun. I got to do a workshop with a guy by the name of Gamo and he was great! I play Timbal and it was a lot of fun to play with him and get some instruction. I had never actually received professional instruction on playing Timbal I had just kind of tried to figure it out on my own. Gamo even convinced me to take a dance class so I took an Orishas dance class with Rosangela Silvestre and while it was tough because clearly I am not a dancer it was very cool. It really helped me gain a deeper understanding of what I am playing, why it has to be played a certain way, and helps you connect more with the culture and the feeling of what you are supposed to play. Really cool stuff. Chevere, chevere!
Juan
Jongo

Postby keldin » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:13 pm

I'm from Ukraine and i like this music.
Now i try to find information about plaing Brazilian percussion,
WHO CAN HALP ME.
keldin

Postby tamboricua » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:36 am

Jongo wrote:I got to do a workshop with a guy by the name of Gamo and he was great!

Juan

Hola Juan,

Do you know if Gamo is related to Jorge Alabe? Are they still living in San Antonio?

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1119490689
tamboricua

Postby Juzzi » Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:07 am

Hello keldin.
I think I can help you. What kind of information do you need?
Juzzi

Postby Diceman » Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:58 pm

Hi guys,

I am also addicted to Brazillian music, and am for tunate to have a friend who lives there and brings me a instruments whenever he comes to England. So far I have a zabumba, a tamborim, three pandeiros, and recently a berimbau.
I have met a guy in London, through some Brasillian friends, who was taught pandeiro by Marco Suzanos, and man can he play.
It is one of the most expressive percussion. I am learning from him and am getting the technique together, but as usual it is practice, practice and practice, but it is easier to take around with you than a set of congas!
I love all the styles of samba, and some of the grooves from Bahia are totally awsome.
Does anyone have any zamumba patterns they can share?

Diceman
Diceman

Postby Chu Toi » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:19 pm

keldin wrote:I'm from Ukraine and i like this music.
Now i try to find information about plaing Brazilian percussion,
WHO CAN HALP ME.

Greetings Keldin,

A great resource for samba information is at http://www.tdsounds.co.uk/

Check out the books and the DVDs. I have ordered from them and have been very pleased.

-JD
http://www.chutoistudios.com
Madison, Wisconsin
Chu Toi

Postby Jongo » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:58 pm

Hey Jorge better late than never, I just saw your post in this thread. Jorge Alabe was here for a few months but the scene did not really take off the way he had hoped so he left for San Francisco. Gamo Da Paz was here only to do a workshop and he is also based out of San Francisco. Gamo usually does a workshop here in San Antonio once a year but I am not sure it is going to happen this year.

On another note, I have not found many instructional resources for Samba so I have had to listen to as much music as I can and try to learn by ear.
Jongo

Postby tamboricua » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:47 pm

Jongo wrote:Gamo usually does a workshop here in San Antonio once a year but I am not sure it is going to happen this year.

On another note, I have not found many instructional resources for Samba so I have had to listen to as much music as I can and try to learn by ear.

Hi Jongo,

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate! Please update me if you find out about Gamo or Jorge Alabe doing workshops. I'm only a few hours away from San Antonio.

Regarding instructional material on Brazilian music. Educator Ney Rosauro just came out with "The ABC's of Brazilian Percussion" book/DVD package. Brazilian music is so rich: Enredo, Pagode, Maracatu, Baio, Frevo, Maculele, etc. Keep listening as much as you can!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1127936921
tamboricua

Postby Diceman » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:07 pm

The pandeiro is the most fantastic instument and is all about technique rather than kit.

Just for interest, check out the videos on this site

http://www.pandeiro.com/

I am learning from some pretty #### hot players. It is an easy instrument to carry around, but sounds like a drum kit when miked up properly.

Anyone else play pandeiro or has any tips/tricks for it?

Diceman
Diceman

Postby Juzzi » Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:47 pm

Hi guys.
The pandeiro is one of my favourite instruments. There's just so many things you can create with it.

Diceman, what kind of tricks are you interested of?

-J

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... ganga1.jpg
Juzzi

Next

Return to Other instruments