lp/toca shekere

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby el_frenko » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:10 am

hey i origionally posted this topic in the wrong forum, so i decided to post it here to see if i got any response.

does anyone know if theres much difference between the toca fiberglass shekere and the lp pro fiberglass shekere? im guessing the lp one's beter but it's also quite a bit more expensive.

thanks alot

steve
el_frenko

Postby Diceman » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:00 pm

El Frenko
Welcome to the forum brother, you will find a real sharing community here and los of good experience and advice.
My two pennies- I have a Meinl fibreglass Shekere which is bullet proof, but compared with a natural gourd I find the sound very harsh.
I guess you are looking for road proof kit, hence the question. How different instruments sound is subjective, and depends on context and the sound you are looking for, so you have to try them against each other. They are both reputable manufacturers so quality and durability shouldnt be a problem.

I hope this helps, and maybe one of the other brothers can talk from experience of using both makes.

Suave
Diceman
Diceman

Postby el_frenko » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:36 pm

thanks alot for the help diceman

yeah am looking for a shekere which i can gig without worrying about damage etc. i also need good projection and attack because of the funk/big band jazz situations which i'll be using it in. thats why im goin for fiberglass rather than natural, although i know what you mean about harshness.

just out of curiosity, do you know if the lp mini shekere can really be used in a live band situation? and also where is the best place to get natural shekeres for a reasonable price?

thanks again

steve
el_frenko

Postby niallgregory » Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:01 pm

Hi ,
i think the lp fiberglass shekeres are pretty poor tbh .Pearl fiberglass is ok and a good bit cheaper than the lp.I have some mienl fiberglass aswell.They are pretty nice bit a bit harsh in comparison to the gourds.Pearl are bringing out a range of folkloric instruments that includes some beautiful gourd shekeres.Also heres a guy the uk that is bring in shekeres from Brazil http://www.sambasupplies.com .A friend bought a set of 3 and was very impressed !
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby onile » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:16 pm

Alafia Abures!
Could this be the post you are referring to???????

Hummmmmmmmmm

Edited By onile on 1144441197
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby ABAKUA » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:37 am

ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby torelli » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:17 pm

I know this thread dates back a while, but I'll add my two cents in case a new viewer happens along.

I made a big mistake by buying both the LP Pro and Tube shekeres. The Tube shekere is too heavy and is uncomfortable for me to play for a long duration.

The Pro shekere is also heavier than other fibreglass shekeres. It does have the benefit of being loud, if harsh. But it does cut. I had trouble with the mesh stretching to the point where it now hangs off and I find it hard to get an accurate note from it.

I'd recoment the large Meinl or the Pearl shekeres. If you can get a Pearl Folkloric shekere they are very nice for instruments made my a mainstream manufacturer.

The Banda brothers make custom shekeres that are brilliant. You can contact them through Poncho Sanchez's site. But they are very expensive.
torelli

Postby congamyk » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:20 am

There is alot of good info here.
I have owned the LP and Pearl models and they really sound harsh. They have no warmth.

Currently my favorite shekere is one made by a forumer here (ZeusNYC). He makes a great shekere.
congamyk

Return to Other instruments