Sergio Krakowski-Pandeirista

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby Diceman » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:17 am

Tamboricua,

Check out the video link I posted earlier, to see how it works.
One more thing is that when you twist the drum, it should turn around a symetrical axis, ie if you put a finger from the hitting hand on the platinela opposite the grip, it should stay still IYKWIM.
It is very tough on the holding hand to do that easily, but it is the basis of the technique.

Good luck
Diceman
Diceman

Postby congastu » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:31 am

Hi all!

Just did the workshop with sergio on friday night, absolutely inspiring and everything diceman says in spot on. Not moving the other hand to make the heel toe movement is really hard at first.

Berimbau, sergio cited suzano as one of his main influences in developing his technique, especially when he saw him using fingers [not thumb] to get open tones.

Sergio commonly uses six tones- something like open, mute, slap, muted slap, jingle, and trill and all can be played with either fingers or thumb so that the ostinato of holding hand is not affected. He also demonstrated how to do this with odd time signatures and varying degrees of swing- sometimes this means that hand placement will invert itself through the rhythmic progression!

The principle was not so much to learn rhythms but to develop a technique where you can play any pattern you wish with the greatest economy of movement and without disrupting the ostinato.

sergio blew me away with two things in particular- a guaganco pattern where he plays the voice of clave, conga, tumba and shekere simultaneously and his "split finger" technique which he says he is still developing.
In this the ostinato of holding hand is complemented by another ostinato on two fingers [eg, a samba surdo line] while the remaining two fingers and thumb improvise....
dont ask me how!!!!!

Well, im off to me sunday night gig later, me and the drummer usually do a bit of pandeiro on it, but i think we will leave that alone for a bit!

stu
congastu

Postby congastu » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:42 am

Sorry- to clarify the last bit, it should be two fingers and thumb play ostinato while other two fingers improvise....
congastu

Postby Diceman » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:15 pm

Congastu,

Glad you got to see the man, inspirational stuff eh??
I have to say that the only way to learn this technique is from the man himself, but I believe he is bringing out a DVD soon.
The most inspirational thing to come out of all this apart from more freedom on the Pandeiro, is that there are people out there who will look at changing the tried and tested techniques to push the instrument on.
Now if that was applied more to other instruments........
I think I'll use frying pans on my congas next gig!! :D :D

cheers
Diceman
Diceman

Postby niallgregory » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:49 pm

Hi Guys ,

Been playing pandiero for many years but i am in the process of relearning alot of stuff .Sergio's technique is amazing ! but also really frustrating to get my head around .I learned all my pandeiro stuff from dudu tucci who i think is a fantastic player , but sergio and others have taken this to a whole new level .
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby congastu » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:20 pm

Frying pans are the way forward!!

At the workshop on friday, my man claudio gave sergio the biggest talk up, going on about this revolutionary technique before asking him to play with us.

Both me and tilo agreed the best thing would have been if hed stepped forward and just played it like a tambourine!!!!
congastu

Postby tamboricua » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:34 pm

Here is a short clip I believe from Paulinho Silva's, Pandeiro Popular Brasileiro instructional DVD.

Paulinho Silva

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby niallgregory » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:05 pm

Thanks jorge ,

thats great stuff .I love the drum and bass groove he breaks into towards the end .Savage :D
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby Diceman » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:06 am

Whoa,

Very similar technique as Sergio, but I couldnt see the reverse slap, maybe too darned quick
All the same, ripping stuff!!

Diceman
Diceman

Previous

Return to Other instruments