Cajon Technque - Cajon strokes

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby soungalo » Tue May 02, 2006 11:00 am

Hello everybody
I have a questions about Cajon technique : what strokes are used on this instrument ?
I know there are basically two strokes : the bass (played on the center of the box) and the "tone" (played on the edge).
Are there any other strokes traditionaly (or not) used on the Cajon ? Any kind of Slap sound ?

Thanks a lot
soungalo

Postby davidpenalosa » Tue May 02, 2006 3:09 pm

The cajon essentially has the same strokes as the conga drum: open tone, bass, slap. The slap is made with the finger tips. It is somewhat different from the conga slap because you use much less of your hand for a cajon slap. I found it to be the most challenging cajon stroke.
-David
davidpenalosa

Postby Diceman » Tue May 02, 2006 4:20 pm

Assuming you are talking about a box cajon, there is also one other stroke played on the corners, where the screws have been loosened slightly. It is a sort of snap sound, different to a slap and can be played with flat finger tips
Also different bass tones can be played on different parts of the face, and either leaving the palm on after the strike or removing it. The bass tone can also be modified by putting your heel (with shoe removed) on the face.
Its worth spending time exploring this wonderful instrument for its many sweet spots.

Diceman
Diceman

Postby davidpenalosa » Wed May 03, 2006 5:59 am

Diceman wrote:Assuming you are talking about a box cajon, there is also one other stroke played on the corners, where the screws have been loosened slightly. It is a sort of snap sound, different to a slap and can be played with flat finger tips

Hi Diceman,
That's actually the slap stroke I was talking about. I haven't been playing cajons that much in recent years though.
-David
davidpenalosa

Postby Diceman » Wed May 03, 2006 4:46 pm

Cool David,
you can also get another slap by slapping the same as a conga in the middle of the upper edge. It produces a different sounding slap to skin, but is one for the armoury.
As you probably know, the Flamenco boys have adopted it and the technique is being developed further by them, its an evolving instrument.
Hey you should blow the dust off your cajon and start playing again, a very cool instrument.

Diceman
Diceman

Postby tamboricua » Thu May 04, 2006 3:09 pm

Hi Congaforum,

Take a look at the attached link:

Los Caminos del Cajón

There you will find a short preview of an upcoming cajón documentary titled Los Caminos del Cajón and that features cajón players from all his forms: Perú, Cuba y España. Among them you can see in action the famous "Los Chinitos" credited by many as the creators of the rumba style known as guarapachangueo.

Enjoy!

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby davidpenalosa » Thu May 04, 2006 3:26 pm

Jorge,
Very cool clip. That's definitely a DVD I'll be getting.
-David
davidpenalosa

Postby Diceman » Thu May 04, 2006 7:57 pm

Enjoyed
Diceman

Postby tamboricua » Thu May 04, 2006 10:26 pm

David and Diceman,

Glad to know you guys digged!

Best,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby franc » Fri May 05, 2006 3:52 am

jorge,
great video clip. did you notice in the last song'' anabacoa'' one player was playing a cajon that looks like two stair step. the lower was the high tone and the upper step was the lower tone. great sound!!! do you know how this cajon is called?? loved it!! take care and ache!!! beautiful sound, yes!!!!! franc :0
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby tamboricua » Fri May 05, 2006 4:13 pm

franc wrote:jorge,
great video clip. did you notice in the last song'' anabacoa'' one player was playing a cajon that looks like two stair step. the lower was the high tone and the upper step was the lower tone. great sound!!! do you know how this cajon is called?? loved it!! take care and ache!!! beautiful sound, yes!!!!! franc :0

Hi Franc,

Hope all is well! Yes, I did notice the cajón in the clip. Very nice invento! The old guy doing the interview is explaining how they come up with that but unfortunately I don't know how they call it.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Ivan » Fri May 05, 2006 6:09 pm

Good stuff, bro! I can't wait until this comes out - I am all over it! It's about time someone put something like this together...

Have you seen the film/documentary called Latcho Drom? If not, well worth seeing!
Ivan

Edited By Ivan on 1146852574
Ilu Ache,
Ivan
Ivan

Postby tamboricua » Fri May 05, 2006 6:48 pm

Ivan wrote:Have you seen the film/documentary called Latcho Drom?

Ivan

Hola Ivan,

No, I'm not familiar with it! What it's about?

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Ivan » Fri May 05, 2006 7:27 pm

Here's some general info... What I particularly like about this film is that there are no words... No one narrating; you are experiencing the film musically. Occasionally they are able to translate some of the songs, but this is by far one of the best films I have ever seen... I found a hit on amazon.com

Click Here

The film takes the viewer on a journey west, from India to Spain, with stops along the way, to dramatize Romany's nomadic culture. This journey takes place over a year's time, from summer through fall and winter to spring. Gatlif holds his camera on the elemental essentials of this life: water, the wheel, fire, beasts of burden and of sustenance, colorful clothes, jewelry, musical instruments, song, and dance. Throughout, via song and dance, young and old celebrate, embody, and teach the cultural values of family, journey, love, separateness, and persecution.
Ilu Ache,
Ivan
Ivan

Postby Ivan » Fri May 05, 2006 7:28 pm

P.S. Latcho Drom means "Safe Journey"

I hope you are able to rent/buy and enjoy!
Ivan
Ilu Ache,
Ivan
Ivan

Next

Return to Other instruments