What About These Djembes?

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby mangorockfish » Tue May 09, 2006 3:16 am

Has anyone played a Everyone's Drumming Djembe with the "Cinch Tuning" method? Don't think I could ever adjust to the Mali Weave tuning method of the traditional djembes.
mangorockfish

Postby Bataboom » Tue May 09, 2006 5:29 am

I didnt think so either but I had found a site that showed me picture by picture how to do it and once I got the idea and put it into motion its easy now.

I never played an everybodys drumming djembe but im sure thats gotta be fonk after a while not being able to tune it.

http://www.hawkdancing.com/Wooddrum/tuningadjembe.html
Bataboom

Postby mangorockfish » Tue May 09, 2006 11:36 am

Bataboom wrote:I didnt think so either but I had found a site that showed me picture by picture how to do it and once I got the idea and put it into motion its easy now.

I never played an everybodys drumming djembe but im sure thats gotta be fonk after a while not being able to tune it.

http://www.hawkdancing.com/Wooddrum/tuningadjembe.html

Go to http://www.everyone'sdrumming.com and look at their "Cinch Tuning" method and tell me what you think.
mangorockfish

Postby Bataboom » Tue May 09, 2006 11:38 pm

To tell you the truth I thought you was talking about the kid style everybodys drumming drums with the head tacked on or glued not being able to be tuned.

I looked at this site and read the instructions but really the pictures are too small for me to see a close up of what they got the ropes doing, they show a large mali weave picture but thier drums they dont show a close up of.

If the knots and diamonds dont come loose I would say it should be ok but I really cant tell because I cant see what type of routing they have the ropes taking. It sounds easy to tune, but my question would be will it stay in tune just as ling as the traditional tuning methods and do you reach a point where these balls and knots hit a stopping point after the ropes and skin has stretched after months and months an years?

Maybe send them an email and ask these questions, other then that what ever works would be cool by me as long as you dont have to pull these knots every 5 minutes.
Bataboom

Postby mangorockfish » Wed May 10, 2006 1:35 am

Bataboom wrote:To tell you the truth I thought you was talking about the kid style everybodys drumming drums with the head tacked on or glued not being able to be tuned.

I looked at this site and read the instructions but really the pictures are too small for me to see a close up of what they got the ropes doing, they show a large mali weave picture but thier drums they dont show a close up of.

If the knots and diamonds dont come loose I would say it should be ok but I really cant tell because I cant see what type of routing they have the ropes taking. It sounds easy to tune, but my question would be will it stay in tune just as ling as the traditional tuning methods and do you reach a point where these balls and knots hit a stopping point after the ropes and skin has stretched after months and months an years?

Maybe send them an email and ask these questions, other then that what ever works would be cool by me as long as you dont have to pull these knots every 5 minutes.

Man, I'm with ya on the possibility of having to constantly retune. I was going to call them today, but couldn't ever find a good time to do it. Maybe tomorrow. Will let you know the results.
Mango'
mangorockfish

Postby akdom » Sun May 14, 2006 11:43 am

Hi there

Just learn the mali way to do it. Once you get it, it will be faster than any other way.
I check the site.... Not convinced at all.....

Think also that you can "improve" your Mali weave......

For those who know the Mali weave, jut take rope 1 and 3 instead of 1 and 2 by going under 2 at all times. This streaches your skin faster. It works great for bigger drums.

B
akdom

Postby Berimbau » Mon May 22, 2006 11:42 pm

Well, what about 'em? I would rather play los tumbadoras anyday!!!!!!!!

Saludos.

Berimbau
Berimbau

Postby Bataboom » Tue May 23, 2006 6:22 am

yeah but if you look carefully the topic is about playing this certain
type of Djembe not tumbadoras.
You maybe though you was in the other sections :p
Bataboom

Return to Other instruments