shekere technique

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby el_frenko » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:13 pm

could anyone please explain to me the technique(s) for playing smaller shekeres as opposed to the large full size ones like the lp pro model. also, could someone explain the african technique which is more like playing a cabassa? basically, i know how the afro-cuban style works with the "heel bass" and "throwing water out of a jug" tones, but i'm not sure about the other styles such as "hold in one hand and rub with the other". can any help me here?

thanks alot,

steve
el_frenko

Postby Bataboom » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:20 pm

The african shaker that I teach and use in my west african perc class is the traditional style

the way we use it is just by pulling the strings on the end, I have also used it in other songs by putting the handle between my legs and tapping the beeds with my fingers like a drum, another way is like a cabasa. In west african percussion depending on the type of song we use it on the "on beat" and others on the "off beat" both ways has its unique sounds.
Bataboom

Postby davidpenalosa » Mon May 01, 2006 7:27 pm

The beaded gourd instrument pictured in the last post is called an "axatse" (ah-hah-say) by the Ewe of Ghana/Togo/Benin and is played with an entirely different technique than Yoruba-based chekere found in Cuba. The axatse is much easier to master than the chekere.

Most often it's played sitting down, holding the instrument above your thigh by its neck and holding your other hand directly above the gourd. The down stroke that strikes your thigh is called "pa" (pah) and the up stroke created when your palm is struck is called "ti" (tee).

This is the axatse pattern that accompanies the standard 6/8 bell pattern:

PA-TI-PA-PA-TI-PA-TI-PA-TI-PA-PA

What's cool about this axatse part is that it begins on bombo and ends on beat one (the first stroke of the bell). The "pa" strokes coincide with the bell strokes. Here's how the two patterns line-up:

|XoXoXX|oXoXoX| standard 6/8 bell pattern
|PoPTPP|TPTPTP| accompanying axatse pattern
|1+a2+a|3+a4+a| beat scheme

In a lot of 4/4 Ewe music the axatse plays a pattern based on tresillo:

PA-TI-PA-PA

Like the 6/8 pattern, this 4/4 pattern begins on bombo and ends on beat one (or three). The "pa" strokes coincide with tresillo.

|XooXooXo|ooXoXooo| clave
|PooPToPo|PooPToPo| 4/4 axatse pattern
|1e+a2e+a|3e+a4e+a| beat scheme

-David
davidpenalosa

Postby Bataboom » Mon May 01, 2006 10:51 pm

fankani
Check out little Timmy as he plays the simple traditional west african way. For afro cuban would be a different way to play it, this is the traditional west african rhythm fankani.

Edited By Bataboom on 1146523901
Bataboom

Postby zaragemca » Mon May 08, 2006 6:30 pm

I don't see the difference in relation to the Araras patterns which a teach,even the ending is the same I have been using since 1997,and this is the first time which I have observed this video,but for my Ensemble,the Djum/Djum pattern would be more sophisticated.Dr. Zaragemca

Edited By zaragemca on 1147113104
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Return to Other instruments