Tamborines

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby mangorockfish » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:41 pm

Looking to add a GOOD tamborine to my set-up. I think I want a smaller one, say 10" with a tunable head so I can replace the head if needed. Is this a good starting point? What kind of jingles should I get and who should I get it from?
Mango'
mangorockfish

Postby Berimbau » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:29 pm

Hey Mango!
I use a numbar of different tambourines in my work and enjoy having a many choices to fit the variety musical contexts that I work in - Brasilian, jug band, South Italian, gospel, etc. To pick just one is a tricky proposition, but let's examine the variables.
I think you are wise to choose a 10 inch drum with a tunable head as this will provide a wide range of sounds and possibilities. Drums with tunable heads are usually better built and hence a bit more reliable. Try to choose a drum with a good balance of jingle to head sound ratio, especially if you want to play using traditional hand techniques. An instrument with a single row of jingles works best. One that isn't too heavy is also important, especially if you end up playing it a lot on the gig! Plastic or natural head? Calf sounds better but can be unreliable in humid conditions. Either way, use a little rosin around the circumerence of the tambourine's playing area to get a consistant thumb roll.
So now, which brand? The sad news is that most tunable tambourines are poorly made and can fall apart rapidly. The Sonar drum company makes a nice, but expensive 10 inch tunable tambourine for classroom use. Airto ued to play one a lot. But they are a bit hard to come by, check out some sites that supply Orff instruments for schools. Pearl also makes a 10 inch tunable called a "tombourine" that looks good although I haven't actually played one.
A good Brasilian pandeiro might work as well. You could always replace the jingles if you want a brighter sound. The Cooperman drum company sells a variety of jingles.

Saludos,

Berimbau
Berimbau

Postby polish_lancer » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:32 pm

How exactly do you plan on using this tambourine?

It will GREATLY affect the tambourine you should buy.

Because of my classical percussion training I am rather picky about this kind of thing, and I have a few I use for different situations.

I do not like most Tunable tambourines I have ever played. I do own the pearl "Tombourine" which is tunable but only recomend buying that if you want a stick played/mountable "tambourine like" sound. It is heavy, akward to use, and the sound it not great.

The only other tunable instrument I would ever recoment is a good pandeiro, but only if you plan on using it as a pandeiro and not as a tambourine.

If you need a good tambourine with a head (for thumb rolls, large dynamic range, and good weight) I strongly recomend Black Swamp Percussion. They have some of the best instruments on the market (also check out their triangles and Chimes: best I ever played) they also make a synthetic headed model that still has a great sound but is perfect for outdoor/humid conditions. they are not cheap, $90 minimum, but worth the price. They offer a variety of jingle metals and they sell replacement heads if you do break them.

LP, rhythmtech, pearl and every other company makes good headless tambourines. Good for loud situations and for stick/hand playing. I am currently using a Pearl one with gold jingles and that nice quick-mount system they come with in my hand drum set-up. This is much better than my old LP one and cost only $25.

I find it rare that I have the need for a tuned tambourine (thats not the sound you are projecting with that instrument) unless I am doing some brazillian stuff, but then I want a pandeiro.

steveweissmusic.com is a good place for great prices on these instruments.

Good luck
polish_lancer

Return to Other instruments