Bomba drums (barriles)

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby Salvarican » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:34 pm

Hello. I make Puerto Rican bomba drums. I usually use goat skin which is traditional for bomba drums. I have noticed that my goat skins have a brownish color to them and have a spine line that goes across and they sound similar to the djembe. I listen to bomba alot and have noticed different tones to some of the other drums. Plus i noticed in some videos that some of the bomba drums have a yellowish skin that looks similar to the cow skin heads and dont have that ringy sound. Are people using a very thin cowskin or is there a different kind of goat skin. My skins come from west africa. Please help.
Salvarican

Postby tamboricua » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:16 pm

By the way,

Here are some of the barriles Salvarican makes.

Beautiful stuff!!!!!!!!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... cf0657.jpg
tamboricua

Postby Salvarican » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:28 pm

hahahahahaha yo Jorge. That was me asking the question. By the way, thanks for the compliment. I got two barrels at my house that im going to start working on.
Salvarican

Postby tamboricua » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:49 pm

Salvarican wrote:hahahahahaha yo Jorge. That was me asking the question. By the way, thanks for the compliment.

Hola Salvarican,

I knew it was you!

Un anuncio público no pagado for your barriles.

Hey recently I talked to another barril artisan on the island and besides the traditional goat skin he mentioned another type of animal skin which I can't remember right now! If I find out, I'll let you know.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Salvarican » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:50 pm

Jorge, were you able to find out what kind of skin that was?
Salvarican

Postby tamboricua » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:43 pm

Salvarican wrote:Jorge, were you able to find out what kind of skin that was?

Hola Salvarican,

The other type of skin used is (ovejo) male lamb. Very similar tonal qualities as the traditional goatskin.

Also calf, but it tends to produce a thinner sound (latoso) and it does dries fast. So if you use Calf regular treatments with manteca de corojo is advised.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby franc » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:20 am

jorge and salvarican,
great barriles of great tradition!!! this is how it goes ''cotaron a elena, ♪`♪♪♪♪♪` cortaron a elena, ♪`♪♪♪♪♪` cortaron a elena y se la llevaron pal' hospital'' ♪`♪♪♪♪♪` jajajajaja!! áche , mis amigos ahi!!!!! franc :rock:
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby Salvarican » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:30 pm

tamboricua wrote:
Salvarican wrote:Jorge, were you able to find out what kind of skin that was?

Hola Salvarican,

The other type of skin used is (ovejo) male lamb. Very similar tonal qualities as the traditional goatskin.

Also calf, but it tends to produce a thinner sound (latoso) and it does dries fast. So if you use Calf regular treatments with manteca de corojo is advised.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Ok, on the cover of the last issue of Latin Beat magazine is a picture of Modesto Cepeda. He is holding a barril that has a sort of yellowish skin. That is the kind of skin that im wondering what it is. Ill see if i can get a pic of it.
here's a link of something similar to what im talking about.
http://www.prfdance.org/barriles.htm

Edited By Salvarican on 1144941463
Salvarican

Postby franc » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:44 am

guys,
i messed up when i used the plena song ''cortaron a elena'' as a bomba song. sorry for the mistake. mucho blessing for both of you!! ache!! franc :(
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby tamboricua » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:01 am

franc wrote:guys,
i messed up when i used the plena song ''cortaron a elena'' as a bomba song. sorry for the mistake. mucho blessing for both of you!! ache!! franc :(

Hola Franc,

That's OK, we are family over here!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Re: Bomba drums (barriles)

Postby Salvarican » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:13 am

Whats up people
Salvarican

Postby Chupacabra » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 am

About a year and a half ago I made a drum out of a wine barrel and at the time I thought it would be a unique addition to the West African percussion that I practise with a few people around here. It turned out to be not so popular after all, but it's still a nice drum! Maybe I've found a new crowd for it to associate with? What do you think?
Attachments
1194.jpg
1194.jpg (19.49 KiB) Viewed 17808 times
1196.jpg
1196.jpg (19.66 KiB) Viewed 17807 times
... --- ... ... --- ... ...---...
Chupacabra

Postby ralph » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:20 pm

Salvarican wrote:Whats up people

salva,
On a side note...I was talking to Bronx rumbero Jose Rivera not too long about drums and such....somehow we ended up talking about a little trip he took to Cali's shop (i.e. JCR Percussion). He was spying a percussionist by the name of Jonathan Troncoso, putting two cueros de chivo on a barril...when Jose saw this he asked, "Jonathan, why two skins?", Jonathan said, "better sound"...so i don't know it may be something to try out salva...I mean Jonathan plays with the who's who of bomberos in ny (i.e. Yerbabuena, ilu aye, Alma Moyo etc...) maybe he just might know a thing or too about a thing or too....
ralph

Postby Salvarican » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:44 am

ralph wrote:
Salvarican wrote:Whats up people

salva,
On a side note...I was talking to Bronx rumbero Jose Rivera not too long about drums and such....somehow we ended up talking about a little trip he took to Cali's shop (i.e. JCR Percussion). He was spying a percussionist by the name of Jonathan Troncoso, putting two cueros de chivo on a barril...when Jose saw this he asked, "Jonathan, why two skins?", Jonathan said, "better sound"...so i don't know it may be something to try out salva...I mean Jonathan plays with the who's who of bomberos in ny (i.e. Yerbabuena, ilu aye, Alma Moyo etc...) maybe he just might know a thing or too about a thing or too....

Ill give that a try one day.
Salvarican

Postby Isaac » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:28 pm

He may have been putting two skins on one side of a Dominican Tambora, the high pitch side often
gets two layers of thin goatskin, for more powerful and cutting slaps. Jonathan is Dominican.

Isaac
Isaac

Return to Other instruments