UDU - Claytones

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby Charangaman » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:37 pm

Greetings all,

I was extremley grateful to be given an UDU drum for my birthday.. I have been coaxing some wonderfull deep and warm Tabla-like bass tones from it..

I wondered though if anyone has experiance with the UDU?

Warmly appreciated as always..
Charangaman

Postby Diceman » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:20 pm

Charangaman,

I also got given one for my birthday two years ago, made by Toca.
Agreed, it has great bass tones but also beautiful high tones got with the finger tips and slaps. It is a quiet instrument, so I love just sitting down with it on my lap trying to get some nice rhthms and sounds from it, quite meditative.
I used it once live, but wasnt sure what it sounded like out front, the main problem was that the rest of the band, a pianist and a singer, couldnt hear it and didnt keep time very well. A lesson learned for next time.
I havent tried it, but I am told that putting water inside and rocking it while playing, gives a weird effect.
Have fun with it.

Diceman
Diceman

Postby zaragemca » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:33 pm

Yes Charangaman,I knew the percussion instrument for some time since it is rooted in the Nigerian/Tribes and it is also used in a little different shape in India,but I never had a request for teaching in relation to it,some musicians have used it for recording.Dr. Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby Berimbau » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:13 pm

Wazzup, Charangaman?
Actually the name Udu is derived from a small Nigerian town where women potters are known for their fine ceramic skills in producing these plosive aerophones. Abeng is another African term for this clay vessel drum, although that term also refers to animal horn trumpets in certain areas. As always, African nomenclature can be quite deceptive given the 2,000 some odd languages spoken on that continent.
In some West African culture areas, the instrument is percussed with a palm frond, in others, with the bare hands. The tonal difference between the low "whomp" obtained by striking the open hole or that from a sharp blow on the ceramic side makes for some pleasing music. After initially striking the palm against the side hole, try leaving it against it for a second to get a fully rich tone. Sharp finger strokes can be used to get tak sounds like a Middle Eastern darbuka. It is quite a unique axe!
Now there are a variety of sizes and shapes, and since the 1970s, many U.S. and international makers. I've made a few myself from large, dense, thin shelled Mexican pottery. Using a door lock bit in my drill with mucho aqua to soften the clay, I have actually successfully "drilled" a few Udus. However, much patience is required! I made yet another one from a bottle gourd that's also quite nice, and one from a huge Indian pot which somehow survived Katrina. Miracles abound when one works WITH the earth instead of AGAINST it!
FYI there are two great articles on these ceramic drums in the journal African Arts, both dating from the 1970's, I think. One is by Keith Nicklin the other by Janet MacGaffey. As I have little library left after Katrina, I don't have the exact citation and must leave the interested to do their own digging.
The Indian clay drum is called ghattam, and is associated most closely with the South Indian Carnatic rhythmic cycle known as the tala vadya kacheri. Despite some shared basic organological traits, the playing techniques and traditions of the Indian ghattam differ greatly from that of the Nigerian Udu.
An old friend of mine, U.S. percussionist N. Scott Robinson, is well known for his "unified technique" approach to Global musical styles. In a recent video release, Scott has created an interesting musical vocabulary for the Udu, fusing various Indian, African, and Middle Eastern hand drum techniques to create a panolopy of percussive colors from this seemingly simple instrument. In his most capable hands, it is a shear joy to hear. For the trully interested Google up his site and check out his chops!!

Saludos,

Berimbau
Berimbau

Postby Charangaman » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:05 pm

Brothers, your experiance and advice is a blessing as always..

I am becoming captivated by this special new addition to my drum "Family" or "Weapons of mass percussion"..

I cannot put it down, it's a very personal drum and has obvious sentimental value given that it was a gift from a loved one.. I'ts so subtle and soothing "meditive" as DICEMAN aptly put it.. I have begun "hearing" it in some recordings, whereas before I had no idea it was present..

Berimbau; I am always intrigued by the origins and adaptations of the instruments I play so I thank you sincerley for providing me reference points with which to begin research..
Charangaman

Postby Berimbau » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:55 pm

Dear Charrangaman, et.al.,
I just remembered that the N. Scott Robinson video, and some really EXCELLENT Udus and other clay creations are available from the Wright Hand Drum Company. Their Ubangs are the epitome of these plosive aerophones and must be HEARD to be believed. I think that they can be reached at this address: http://www.wrighthanddrums.com/
And finally all my best wishes to EVERYONE on this site this Holiday season!

Saludos,

Berimbau
Berimbau

Postby soungalo » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:46 pm

Hi all
I have had an Udu for abot 3 years now . I have the LP Museum model Udu , which is OK .
If you listen to T.H "Vikku" Vinayakram you can hear the clay drum used properly . He plays the Ghatam , which is the Indian version of Udu . It has a different shape , and only one hole (the upper one) . In South India (Carmatic music) it is a traditional instrument , and there is a whole system of playing it , including a large variety of strokes ("Bols") .

Meinel has some interesting models of Udu , just like fiberglass and wooden ones . I wonder how they sound ...
LP too has some strangely shaped Udu's , including a very flat one and a pair of Udu's joined together .

As you said , it's a great instrument . Some middle eastern-percussion techniques might be very useful for it , if you have any experience with such percussion .
soungalo

Postby Percussionista » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:00 pm

[quote]Meinel has some interesting models of Udu.

I think that all of MEINL's udus are superb. The holes are designed very ergonomically, and the bodies that included a drumming head and a flat body are amazing!
Percussionista

Postby captainquinto » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:11 pm

The site provided by Berimbau has some excellent sound clips. The Ubangs sound great!
The 11" model has very bright intonations while the 18" is SUPER bassy. I think the two models
in the middle - 13" & 15" - have the best overall compromise.

Darn ... another item to add to the wish list! :laugh:
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?
captainquinto

Postby Charangaman » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:12 pm

Guys,

I have been hearing a lot of new music out of Argentina recently, Tango Nuevo and some Milonga - amazing stuff.. And it was interesting to know that the Udu is ubiquitous in these new recordings, not only ubiquitous but highly prominent in the mix...
Charangaman

Postby GuruPimpi » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:23 pm

Hi guys!

I just wanted to start a topic, but ... hey, you are already here... :D

I own a handmade UDU which I made out of clay and I used it on our recording, it's great!

I'm planning to make myself new and my band members one. It's not that difficult, but it takes time (I use a socalled 'snake' technique, you roll a 'snake' out of clay and just roll (over and over)then it must dry and bake in an clay oven)... Mine is not tuned in a pure tone, but still gives a lot fun and groovy times :D

I'm pretty interested in some DVDs for instructions about techniques... Any one knows a good one?
Cause when you play it, you hear that is has a lot of different sounds... although the bassy tones and ''pull ups'' are pretty beautiful and addictive tones to play...

My two udus,

primozz
GuruPimpi

Postby Diceman » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:39 pm

Diceman

Return to Other instruments