Panderos, Pleneras, Plena drums

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby SkinDeep » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:30 pm

HEY BRO, I LOVE MY BOMBA TO THE HEART ANF IF I WAS THERE I'LL GIVE YOU ALL SUPPORT! ALL PERCUSSION IS BEAUTIFUL, BUT BOMBA IS TRULY OURS AND SHOULD NEVER BE FORGOTTEN. I'LL LOVE TO SEE THEM BARRILES YOU MADE..SUAVE
MOFORIBALE AL TAMBO!!!
SkinDeep

Postby Salvarican » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:58 pm

Ok, these are the bomba drums i made. The little one is going to be the cua but i have not finished it.

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... CF0657.JPG
Salvarican

Postby onile » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:35 am

Alafia Abure Salvarican!
¡Oye papa, que bonito son esos barriles!

So let me ask you, who did you get to make your hardware for you? or are you the mastercraftsman? :D
Either way, they are beautiful!

“Que bonita bandera, Que bonita bandera, Que bonita bandera, la bandera Puertorriqueña!

Okay, so I'm leaning more towards Plena! ¡Wepa!

Suave!
Onile!
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby onile » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:38 am

¡Oye! Tamboricua mi pana!
He sentido tu falta mi hermano! ¿Cómo has estao?

It’s great to see you posting again!

¡Espero que estés en muchas bendiciones!

Suave!
Onile!
onile

Postby SkinDeep » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:49 am

I'M IMPRESSED HERMANO SALVARICAN, SIGUE PA'LANTE!!!

HERMANO ONILE, ESPERO QUE ESTES DE LO MAS BIEN. HE ESTADO BIEN OCUPADO PERO NO ME HE OLVIDADO DE LO TUYO. RECIBISTE EL EMAIL?...SUAVE.
MOFORIBALE AL TAMBO!!!
SkinDeep

Postby Salvarican » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:57 am

Im not a welder so i get the hardware from an African drum shop here in LA. They custom make it because of the size. I glue, sand, stain, apply finish, bolt the hardware, shave the skins, and mount the heads and play em. It takes some time but its well worth it. The first one took me about a month but the second one took me a couple of weeks. The next one might take me less since i already know what im doing. Alot of people in my area have asked me to make them one.

Edited By Salvarican on 1138669063
Salvarican

Postby SkinDeep » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:00 am

have you decided how much you'll be charging? :)

Edited By SkinDeep on 1138669296
MOFORIBALE AL TAMBO!!!
SkinDeep

Postby Salvarican » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:07 am

Well, ive added how much it comes out in matereials and it roughly comes out to about $210 in matereials depending on how much the barrel comes out to. I dont make the staves. I find old barrels and use those since they already have the curve.
Salvarican

Postby pcastag » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:37 am

tamboricua wrote:
Salvarican wrote:
tamboricua wrote:
Salvarican wrote:The ones i found in PR are $200, is that a good price?

Salvarican,

The $200.00 panderos you are referring to, are yellow? If so, those are a very decent and good priced traditional sizes 8", 10", 12" pandero set. Those are made of PVC by artisan Richard Trinidad from Manatí, Puerto Rico. If you want to go with the higher end check out the ones made by Charlie Vega, Elo Molina, Papo del Valle, but expect to pay at least $150.00 to $200.00 for a single pandero.

Hope this helps!

Jorge Ginorio

Yes, i put the link of the yellow ones. Those are the ones that cost $200. Do you think thats a decent set and decent price. In quality, how would you compare them on a conga basis. Would it be like the aspires to the matador or like aspires to the patatos?

Compared to the higher end artisan wood panderos, I would say those rate in the Matador's range. Stay away from those Caribbean Rhythms ones. The company doesn't longer exists, and were made out of very cheap materials in the Dominican Republic.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

I would have to disagree about the caribbean rhythms panderettas. The ones I have are carved from solid mahogany, yes the hardware is rustic ( handmade) but I got a set of four for $100.00. For the price you will not find anything that sounds better. The yellow drums look nice, but the only difference that I can see is that the lugs are a bit more sturdy on the yellow drum sfrom PR. If those drums are made from PVC, I don't see how thay could compare to solid wood.

PC
PC
pcastag

Postby onile » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:41 am

Claro que si Abure Skindeep!
Recibi tu e-mail y yo estoy bien tanquilo aqui en mi paraiso!
Esperare tranquilamente!

Suave!
Onile!

Edited By onile on 1138682653
onile

Postby tamboricua » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:20 am

pcastag wrote:I would have to disagree about the caribbean rhythms panderettas. The ones I have are carved from solid mahogany, yes the hardware is rustic ( handmade) but I got a set of four for $100.00. For the price you will not find anything that sounds better. The yellow drums look nice, but the only difference that I can see is that the lugs are a bit more sturdy on the yellow drum sfrom PR. If those drums are made from PVC, I don't see how thay could compare to solid wood.

PC

PC,

I had seen those Caribbean Rhythms panderos way up priced as the high ends ones. Nobody wants them anymore and people who had bought them keep send them back, that's the reason you paid $100.00 for B or C stock items.

As I told Salvarican, compared to solid caoba panderos, PVC's ones are in the mid-range. Now for $100.00 more you are getting a nice looking set, with top quality skin and functional hardware all in ready to play condition mode, plus a drum artisan that will back you up 150% for whatever happens to it.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Salvarican » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:20 am

pcastag wrote:[
I would have to disagree about the caribbean rhythms panderettas. The ones I have are carved from solid mahogany, yes the hardware is rustic ( handmade) but I got a set of four for $100.00. For the price you will not find anything that sounds better. The yellow drums look nice, but the only difference that I can see is that the lugs are a bit more sturdy on the yellow drum sfrom PR. If those drums are made from PVC, I don't see how thay could compare to solid wood.

PC

How is the sound on the carribean rhythms? What kind of heads do they come with? How is the quality? Do you have any close up pics of them?

Edited By Salvarican on 1138685651
Salvarican

Postby Salvarican » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:37 am

Yo Jorge, i dont know if this helps but i found the Caribbean ones for $49. But i thought the reason was because not alot of people are into plena. I wish there was a close up shot but they dont even supply a close up of them. Seems a bit fishy.
Salvarican

Postby tamboricua » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:58 am

Salvarican wrote:Yo Jorge, i dont know if this helps but i found the Caribbean ones for $49. But i thought the reason was because not alot of people are into plena. I wish there was a close up shot but they dont even supply a close up of them. Seems a bit fishy.

Salvarican,

It's up to you my friend! Maybe that deal will work out good for you because you are a drum artisan and will get to fix them with some extra $. By the way thanks for the pics, beautiful barriles! I don't think that they are going for that price because not too many people are into Plena, they are just trying to get rid of them! The same happened with their line of barriles de bomba. It's your call.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1138687479
tamboricua

Postby Salvarican » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:19 am

tamboricua wrote:
Salvarican wrote:Yo Jorge, i dont know if this helps but i found the Caribbean ones for $49. But i thought the reason was because not alot of people are into plena. I wish there was a close up shot but they dont even supply a close up of them. Seems a bit fishy.

Salvarican,

It's up to you my friend! Maybe that deal will work out good for you because you are a drum artisan and will get to fix them with some extra $. By the way thanks for the pics, beautiful barriles! I don't think that they are going for that price because not too many people are into Plena, they are just trying to get rid of them! The same happened with their line of barriles de bomba. It's your call.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Nah nah dont get me wrong. I rather stick with the artisans from PR. I ordered the yellow ones this A.M. Im not to happy with the color but oh well. Im more worried about the performance and quality. Im pretty sure ill be happy when i get them. Thanks on the Barril comment. I put all my heart and effort to make them. Im proud of myself.
Salvarican

PreviousNext

Return to Other instruments