Panderos, Pleneras, Plena drums

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby Salvarican » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:03 pm

Hello, im new to this board and im looking for some decent Plena drums. Its a tough decission for me since im just getting into playing plena and im not familiar with brands or plena artisans. Please help me get some decent drums for a decent price. Much appreciated.
Salvarican

Postby ralph » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:45 pm

you may want to check out
http://www.bombaboricua.com

for links and info on artisans who make these instruments...if you want a more commercial product than lp makes some wooden ones, and some plastic ones with synthetic skins, which i don't necessarily recommend but i have....talk to one of the artisans...the real deal it always better...

Ralph

Edited By ralph on 1138635964
ralph

Postby Berimbau » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:29 pm

Hey Ya'll,
Now Salvarican is it a panderetta you are looking for? Cause all I found on the site Ralph so kindly listed were bomba drums, which is yet another beautiful Puerto Rican tradition. Now Sal if it IS a panderetta (sometimes erroniously called a "plenera") I have seen sets of three on E-Bay from time to time at very nice prices. The Memphis drum shop does have a nice 12" wooden one right now.
Back in my NYC days we made them from old banjo parts which sounded ok. I remember Juan Guiterez had a very nice one made out of metal, heavy, but quite loud and intense. Back in those pre-internet days you actually had to go to PR to get that axe!

Saludos,

Berimbau
Berimbau

Postby Salvarican » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:37 pm

Yeah, im looking for pandereta which also goes by plenera, which is the drum for playing Plena. Ive found the WB which is made by LP, Mano Percussion, and ive also seen a couple by artisans in PR. But im just not sure which one have good sound. The ones i found in PR are $200, is that a good price? I have 2 bomba drums ive made. Im trying to get in to Plena but all i need is the drums.
Salvarican

Postby ralph » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:25 pm

Berimbau wrote:Hey Ya'll,
Now Salvarican is it a panderetta you are looking for? Cause all I found on the site Ralph so kindly listed were bomba drums, which is yet another beautiful Puerto Rican tradition.

Berimbau,

exactly but i'm sure the artisans would be well versed in the fine art of pandereta making which is like a sister to the barril....so Juango had a pandereta made out of metal, funny you mention that i know a cat here in NC that has a requinto made out of metal...and i could see that for a requinto this would be useful although for the seguidor and segundo it may not work out so well...

Salvarican, its all what you want personally if it was my choice i would talk to one of these cats in the states and see what they charge and they can tell you who has bought their drums, than by that you can see if it is a quality instrument...this is what i did a while ago with Junior Tirado's congas...i had to go by what i heard Jerry Gonzalez playing on records and by the general consensus, and it turns out that Junior made me a perfect drum in my opinion...it may be the case that you get a handmade pandereta made by a known guy and then you'll have a piece of art that you can treasure for a lifetime, than again thats my rant on the whole instrument deal...

Ralph

Edited By ralph on 1138645537
ralph

Postby Berimbau » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:56 pm

Sorry to be a bit off subject here, but Ralph, are you in Asheville? What"s the NC world music scene like these days? I might get mobilized again when all the Katrina checks finally clear.

Saludos,

Berimbau
Berimbau

Postby pcastag » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:18 pm

Panderettas

Here's a link to a nice solid panderetta, I have a set of three, they were sold in fours, solid mahogany. I have a feeling this may be one of the drums I sent back, cracked skin, easily repaired if you know how to tuck, goat skin is very cheap.
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby Salvarican » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:00 pm

pcastag wrote:Panderettas

Here's a link to a nice solid panderetta, I have a set of three, they were sold in fours, solid mahogany. I have a feeling this may be one of the drums I sent back, cracked skin, easily repaired if you know how to tuck, goat skin is very cheap.
PC

Did you buy these in a group of four. I was going to buy them before but the guy told me that the set is only X-large.He said the set does not come in the 8, 10, 12 and 14. I was worried about buying it then all i was going to receive was the 14. That is a nice price compared to the $200 ones that are made in PR.
Salvarican

Postby tamboricua » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:01 pm

Salvarican wrote:The ones i found in PR are $200, is that a good price?

Salvarican,

The $200.00 panderos you are referring to, are yellow? If so, those are a very decent and good priced traditional sizes 8", 10", 12" pandero set. Those are made of PVC by artisan Richard Trinidad from Manatí, Puerto Rico. If you want to go with the higher end check out the ones made by Charlie Vega, Elo Molina, Papo del Valle, but expect to pay at least $150.00 to $200.00 for a single pandero.

Hope this helps!

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1138655909
tamboricua

Postby Salvarican » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:04 pm

These are the ones i was thinking of getting from PR..

http://store1.yimg.com/I/yhst-84391117698842_1867_23984516
Salvarican

Postby Salvarican » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:07 pm

tamboricua wrote:

Salvarican,

The $200.00 panderos you are referring to, are yellow? If so, those are a very decent and good priced traditional sizes 8", 10", 12" pandero set. Those are made of PVC by artisan Richard Trinidad from Manatí, Puerto Rico. If you want to go with the higher end check out the ones made by Charlie Vega, Elo Molina, Papo del Valle, but expect to pay about $150.00 to $200.00 for a single pandero.

Hope this helps!

Jorge Ginorio

Yes, i put the link of the yellow ones. Those are the ones that cost $200. Do you think thats a decent set and decent price. In quality, how would you compare them on a conga basis. Would it be like the aspires to the matador or like aspires to the patatos?
Salvarican

Postby tamboricua » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:31 pm

Salvarican wrote:
tamboricua wrote:

Salvarican,

The $200.00 panderos you are referring to, are yellow? If so, those are a very decent and good priced traditional sizes 8", 10", 12" pandero set. Those are made of PVC by artisan Richard Trinidad from Manatí, Puerto Rico. If you want to go with the higher end check out the ones made by Charlie Vega, Elo Molina, Papo del Valle, but expect to pay at least $150.00 to $200.00 for a single pandero.

Hope this helps!

Jorge Ginorio

Yes, i put the link of the yellow ones. Those are the ones that cost $200. Do you think thats a decent set and decent price. In quality, how would you compare them on a conga basis. Would it be like the aspires to the matador or like aspires to the patatos?

Compared to the higher end artisan wood panderos, I would say those rate in the Matador's range. Stay away from those Caribbean Rhythms ones. The company doesn't longer exists, and were made out of very cheap materials in the Dominican Republic.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Salvarican » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:37 pm

tamboricua wrote:
Salvarican wrote:
tamboricua wrote:

Salvarican,

Hope this helps!

Jorge Ginorio

Compared to the higher end artisan wood panderos, I would say those rate in the Matador's range. Stay away from those Caribbean Rhythms ones. The company doesn't longer exists, and were made out of very cheap materials in the Dominican Republic.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Yo, i really appreciate your help Jorge. You seem like a man that knows his buisiness so i think i might go for those yellow ones, i wonder if they have them in different color. Although, i dont find anything wrong with matadors, i like my patatos way better. Thanks again and nice website you going on Jorge. By the way, the bomba y plena scene is really dead here in LA and im trying to bring it up. Looking for some bomberos y pleneros here in LA. So if you all know any, please let me know. Thanks again.
Salvarican

Postby tamboricua » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:09 pm

Salvarican,

I had seen PVC panderos in other colors, (grey, white, etc.) but Richard ones always in yellow. He has to dig that color!

I might be able to provide you with some names of percussionists friends in the L.A. area that might be in for some Bomba y Plena with you. When you get a chance, I would like to check out the barriles you made, feel free to e-mail some pics.

Best,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1138655651
tamboricua

Postby Salvarican » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:35 pm

tamboricua wrote:Salvarican,

I had seen PVC panderos in other colors, (grey, white, etc.) but Richard ones always in yellow. He has to dig that color!

I might be able to provide you with some names of percussionists friends in the L.A. area that might be in for some Bomba y Plena with you. When you get a chance, I would like to check out the barriles you made, feel free to e-mail some pics.

Best,

Jorge Ginorio

Ok, sounds good. Ill take some pics of my two bariles but dont expect something perfect since these where my 2 very first ones. But they are good to play. Please let me know if you know of any bomberos and pleneros here in LA. I know bomba but its very minimal. Would love to learn more and possibly start a little group. By the way, i bought the yelllow pleneras, i can wait to get them. Ive been waiting to buy some, hopefully i end up liking them. But to me, sound is what counts. Thanks again Jorge. Are you in the east coast or PR?
Salvarican

Next

Return to Other instruments