LP's "Duro" Cowbell Beater

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby Firebrand » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:11 pm

What's the skinny on these things. I don't have a cowbell beater (don't play many "bongo-cowbell" gigs in a salsa settings...usually am playing more congas and timbale or drumkit), but, I've been getting a few calls to chip in as the bongo player and I wanted to get a good cowbell beater.

Is it worth getting this one as opposed to regular wood beaters?

How do these sound?
Firebrand

Postby onile » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:24 pm

¡Vaya mi pana Firebrand!
¡Espero que todo este muy bien contigo!

You know, I have gone through quite a few sticks (cowbell beaters), from Meinl, to LP, and if they are made of wood, they will all chip. So, what I have done is buy a drum stick, one of the fattest ones sold, cut it to the length that I want, and I put some white tape on it, being careful to leave the tip bare. This helps to keep the stick from chipping all over the place and it actually gives the bell a “warm” sound when struck. Hey, we all have our little tricks. I don’t know if you’ll be totally satisfied until you try all of them, providing you want to invest in them, or do as I did!

Suave Mi Pana!

Onile!

Edited By onile on 1132694927
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby ralph » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:52 pm

I never heard of the Duro cowbell beaters, but there is a guy that floats around here called Isaac, he's a rep for JCR percussion, and they do sell a fiber bongo beater, which i assume is the same thing, he can probably go into more detail, actually he should respond to thread soon...he's good about that....

Onile, yes the tape around the sticks, i put tape around all my sticks and bells, and thanks to this i have not broken a stick yet, i have seen cats who go through more than one set of sticks in one nights, whatcha gonna do?

Ralph
ralph

Postby caballoballo » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:40 pm

Firebrand,

Those duro cowbell beaters are made of a resin and a matrix which all together is call Phenolic,is very hard,almost indestructible. You can buy the JCR type here in the beautiful Island of PuertoRico at Pure Sound in Bayamón for $17,believe me,if you don't loose it,it is the last one you are going to buy because it does not break,chip or shatter.

Onile,I 'll be working as a DJ in a SalSa Club (Palo 11) tonight and the bands there will be,Tommy Olivencia,Papo Cocote y El Nuevo Montuno and Primi Cruz. Since they are famous I will be the main attraction. There are also about 3 other Bailes,there is one with the Lebrons Brothers,El sabor de Nacho and Azuquita at Hotel SanJuan . Salsa es lo que hay......................

Edited By caballoballo on 1132757177
Josean
caballoballo

Postby Raymond » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:41 pm

The LP Duro Cowbell beater is the response or copy of JCR's "thin" fiberglass cowbell beater. JCR's became so popular that LP did a version. (As well as some cowbells that became popular made by JCR).

They have become popular because they take a little more wear than the "bat" or wood types. Also, the "thinner" of the cowbell beater is compensated by a slightly heavier weight. In my opinion they were developed for the then "new trend" of having "hits" in the body of the cowbell that became popular in the 90s. (Ala Ray Colon, Albert Machuca, etc). Also, because they could be used for recordings that bongoseros used to use "thinner" beaters to get a more "balanced sound". With that type of stick there is no need for an additional beater.

They are worth it. My five cents!

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby onile » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:52 pm

caballoballo wrote:Firebrand,

Those duro cowbell beaters are made of a resin and a matrix which all together is call Phenolic,is very hard,almost indestructible. You can buy the JCR type here in the beautiful Island of PuertoRico at Pure Sound in Bayamón for $17,believe me,if you don't loose it,it is the last one you are going to buy because it does not break,chip or shatter.

Onile,I 'll be working as a DJ in a SalSa Club (Palo 11) tonight and the bands there will be,Tommy Olivencia,Papo Cocote y El Nuevo Montuno and Primi Cruz. Since they are famous I will be the main attraction. There are also about 3 other Bailes,there is one with the Lebrons Brothers,El sabor de Nacho and Azuquita at Hotel SanJuan . Salsa es lo que hay......................

¡Vaya Caballoballo!
¡Espero que todo este muy bien contigo y tu familia mi pana!

¡Chacho! ¡Tu esta’ hecho mi hermano! :cool: Estando entre tanto talento como eso, es un sueño para mí.
¡No ay cama pa’tanta gente! :D

Suave!
Onile!
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Return to Other instruments