the tabla

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby 120-1016659394 » Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:51 am

does anyone play the tabla? well i have to say that this is one of the most beautiful and cool sounding percussion instruments ever. it blends amazingly with the sitar, and the rhythmic fredom that it has (in indian music) is incredible.

P.S. there should be a tabla book on the web sight!!!!

Edited By xelavelobos on Dec. 19 2002 at 00:53
120-1016659394

Postby timo » Thu Dec 19, 2002 10:18 am

Iv played tabla for about 2 years, and play it as my main instrument at the moment,(except from capoeira music). it truly is a amazing instrument. Actually has very little rhythmic freedom,(in some sence), because it is governd by so many rules, but these rules can be used to find more room for improvisation, which is the beauty of indian music.
AXÉ

timo
timo

Postby 120-1016659394 » Fri Dec 20, 2002 1:35 am

do you mind going a bit more in depth?
a love listening to it but i do not know much about the tech. or the rythmic rules of indian music i general. i want to study the tabla(soon!) but i have yet to find a teacher. if you could enlighten me a bit that would be great.

thanks
120-1016659394

Postby Tablaji71 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:24 am

hi im an italian tabla student from 7 years. im a student of Pandit Pepe Fiore. he was a disceple, for 20 years in Benares,
of Pandit Badri Maharaj. one of the best tabla-player lived in india.
now i teach in italy multipercussion in a private school, but i cant teach tabla because i must complete , my training.
if you want some informations about tabla, you can ask me without problem.
blessings
:)
fabrizio
Tablaji71

Postby zaragemca » Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:48 pm

Tabla is one of the instruments which I have incorporate for long time,also Nakers, Riffs, Mranger,and Darbukas,even when I have to recognize that I never have a demand for it around here,I have performed with Indian percussioninst,and one time for a Buddhist Temple.I didn't incorporate them to my Drum-Circle becouse the rest of the cuban and african percussion instruments would take over the range of the Tabla.

Edited By zaragemca on 1100199094
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby Tablaji71 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:30 pm

for zaragemca:
play congas, darabuka, djembe , drum , tabla etc ?
you will need four life! :D
two for play tabla....if someone want to play tabla seriously , i advice him to practice every day only tabla because the hand technics is bad for a finger technics, but if you like a multipercussionism is all another things!
fabrizio
Tablaji71

Postby zaragemca » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:34 am

The real situation is that except one 'Coffee-Shop' here in Houston were I used to go some times(becouse one of my students which play Tabla was performing there),I didn't have a demand for Tabla playing, but I recognized that the instrument required an specific finger's technique which is not transferable from others percussions instruments.Dr.Zaragemca

Edited By zaragemca on 1110486862
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby Colacao » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:48 pm

Hi,

Yes, I think the problem is not only the instrument technic and Indian solfege, but to learn the classical Indian music.With the styles and differents school. You need 4 lifes. Same thing with darbouka or zarb.

Here too, there is a difference between a tabla player and a tablist.
:D
Colacao

Postby Ezzard Charles » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:10 am

Y U wanna B playin' dem Injun drums, anyway? I wuddna play dat!!
I radder play da congo drum!!

Skoolin' Ya,

Ezzard
Ezzard Charles

Postby Tablaji71 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:49 pm

Colacao wrote:Hi,

Yes, I think the problem is not only the instrument technic and Indian solfege, but to learn the classical Indian music.With the styles and differents school. You need 4 lifes. Same thing with darbouka or zarb.

Here too, there is a difference between a tabla player and a tablist.
:D

which style you speak? north or south of india?
do you say accompainment in vocal or instrumental or dance?
is not necessary know all the style (only for vocal there are 5-6 different style) but few of its are played also in India.
until 15-20 years ago the tabla player in Benares was specialized in accompainment in kathak dance and vocal (druphad style) like in Lucknow, in Delhi they had performed
specialy in vocal accompainment (Kyal style).
over the years each gharana developed its own style to play tabla. today there are two different technique:
purbi style and diilli style.
purbi style come from pakhawaj technique and consisting to keep the right hand in 2 unit index finger+last tree finger(thumb in not used in tabla) and keep left hand in a very aggressive position on the bass.
dilli styli consist of 3 three part: index + middle+ring a little finger together. and the left hand is more relaxed on the bass drum.
other "simple" considerations is the rhythm languages (BOLS). this is a complex system developed over the years that allowed a player to keep the compositions in memory for years.
here the languages changes from gharana to gharana, but you dont need to learn all.
like this for compositions : in tabla study there are, free compositions (where you can improvise) and fixed compositions. the last is caratteristic for every gharana, but you can learn with your bol.
this is only a few aspect to know before make consideration about this instruments.
Tabla is not like darbuka or zarb, nothing other percussion developed a rhythm system, a variety of sound, a complex technics like this.
(try to tune tabla) you'll must tune it like a melodical instrument.
regards
fabrizio
Tablaji71

Return to Other instruments