Tambora - Tamboras in NYC

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby Ecuarumba » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:10 pm

Does anyone know where I can get a Tambora in NYC? Not the tunable kind, the traditional one.

Any info you got would be great.
Ecuarumba

Postby ralph » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:15 pm

EcuaRumba,
I just replied to someone in the latinjazz forum with a similar question i am assuming its you, basically as far as tamboras go, i figure you may want to get in contact with a guy name Pinto Guira who lives in Corona, and makes guiras, i figure he would be the guy to talk to (if i had his contact i'd give it but i haven't found any #'s for him)...maybe you can even buy a guira off him, i mention his name because he's got to be one of the few if not the only Dominican cat making guiras by hand in NYC... let me know if you need more info...
ps- just out of curiosity the "ecua" in rumba wouln't stand for Ecuadorian would it?

Edited By ralph on 1118348179
ralph

Postby Ecuarumba » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:11 pm

Yeah that was me on the Latin jazz forum too. Thanks, I'll ask around and see if I can find him. He'll probably know about tamboras also.

and Yeah the Ecua is for Ecuadorian. lol
Ecuarumba

Postby ralph » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:24 am

The reason i ask is because i am of Ecuadorian decent as well, born in NYC...I don't know if you have read Ben's reply already (on the latin jazz forum)...You may just have to take a trip uptown and just walk around Washington Heights, and see what stores have in terms of tamboras...in case you want to find Pinto i haven't found any contact but you may get contact info through:
New York Folklore Society
P.O. Box 764
Schenectady, NY 12301
518/346-7008
Fax 518/346-6617
nyfs@nyfolklore.org
(they did a story on him) also you may want to call:
Rincón Musical or Disco Mundo in the Corona, Queens area they may have info on how to contact him...
as far as Jay's # i can't find it for the life of me, contact John Berdeguer for Jay's number as he may have it...
PEACE
ralph

Postby Ecuarumba » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:58 pm

Always good to see more Ecuadorians in this business!
Thanks for your help, I'll see what I can find out about Pinto Guira and I'll let you all know.
Ecuarumba

Return to Other instruments