unknown instrument

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby gilbert » Thu May 26, 2005 6:51 am

hello

i need help recoognizing an instrument i saw in some videos
it is rounded and has a shape like a spring probably made from aluminum same material as a chimes and gives a sound close to a Triangle

sorry i dont have a picture of it
gilbert

Postby tamboricua » Thu May 26, 2005 2:02 pm

Hi Gilbert,

Hope all is well! Check out the attached picture. Is this what you are referring to?

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... _Thing.jpg
tamboricua

Postby gilbert » Thu May 26, 2005 2:04 pm

tamboricua wrote:Hi Gilbert,

Hope all is well! Check out the attached picture. Is this what you are referring to?

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

that's it
i've been lookin' for that instrument since 6 month

can u give me plz some info about it
10kss
gilbert

Postby tamboricua » Thu May 26, 2005 2:14 pm

This percussion effect was made by OM Percussion, and unfortunately they are no longer in business. I believe they called it the "Spring Thing". I'll say check on E-bay or smaller drum shops, someone might have one left in stock.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1117129352
tamboricua

Postby gilbert » Fri May 27, 2005 7:31 am

tamboricua wrote:This percussion effect was made by OM Percussion, and unfortunately they are no longer in business. I believe they called it the "Spring Thing". I'll say check on E-bay or smaller drum shops, someone might have one left in stock.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

10ks for your info

i couldnt find it on the internet

i was wondering if you know the type of material used maybe i can make one ?
gilbert

Postby tamboricua » Fri May 27, 2005 2:07 pm

Gilbert,

Your welcome! It's made out of aluminum, you will need to apply heat to it in order to bend it. I have seen this same type at places like Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

Best,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby fabrizio » Tue May 31, 2005 6:09 pm

Hello! You can find it also into the car destroyers' shops.
The spring coil is an instrument used by modern composers like Luciano Berio (the first to use it), John Cage, Jeff Jones and a lot of others. You can play it with different sticks, metal, woodden or felt ones. A nice effect is to place a light chain on the spring and you will obtain a "sizzle" sound. When you will go to look for one (or more) of it, remember to experiment various sounds with different sticks: the owner of the shop will think you are out of mind, but you will take the best "instrument" for your use. And because you will have already obtained a bad imagine of yourself, look also for some brake drums, with a little bit of fortune you will find different size to make a non chromatic scale. Try motorcycle spring coils and heavy truck ones. Good research, Fabrizio.
fabrizio

Postby fabrizio » Tue May 31, 2005 6:17 pm

Do you want some other ideas: here you have!

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... CN1545.JPG
fabrizio

Postby fabrizio » Tue May 31, 2005 6:24 pm

fabrizio

Postby Tablaji71 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:16 am

fabriz sei un grande!, ci sentiamo nei prossimi giorni, stavolta ti chiamo al telefono non puoi scapparmi di forum in forum.
ho visto le foto del set in costruzione continua cosi' . :;):
:D
see you
fabrizio
Tablaji71

Postby slapadrum » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:05 am

I got My brake drums at a brake shop they just gave em to but free is the right price for junk percussion!
happy drumming
chris
slapadrum

Postby fabrizio » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:10 pm

Wonna make your own spring coils? Take a pipe of desired diameter (remember that the diameter of the instrument will be almost 10% larger than the pipe one), a grip plier and the material you desire to make the spring, alluminium,brass, bronze, steel.
Block the extremity of the material to the pipe with the grip and start to rotate it: pay attention to the distance between the coils, it must be the same; if not, you will adjust it later.
If you have a lathe, use it as shown in the photo, otherwise your arms will be your lathe (eh!eh!eh!).
With non ferrous metals the work is really light.
Try different metals, diameters of material, diameters of the finished spring, lenght of spring: experiment is life.
Have a good time, Fabrizio.

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... l_mail.JPG
fabrizio

Return to Other instruments