Miking an UDU drum - ...any suggestion?

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby yalla » Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:59 pm

hey guys! Is there anyone who can recommend a good microphone to be permanently installed inside my UDU? I already have one but it's a poor quality one, it was only a test I did, now I need to change to a professional quality one.
My UDU already has a small hole on the neck to accomodate the cable.
I live in Italy, so I will look for microphones available on European market... but any suggestion will be appreciated, thank you! :)
nadie se salva de la rumba
yalla

Postby zaragemca » Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:42 pm

one of the best way to mic an UDu would be puting an AKG 414 mic, in the mouth and another one SM 57 on the side to obtain the high range comming from the side of the instrument.It would facilitate the mixing of both range,and getting the attack.

Edited By zaragemca on 1090511070
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby yalla » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:52 am

Thank you Zaragemca for the suggestion, but what I need is actually to mike my UDU inside. The miking you suggested is perfect for studio recording, or when you're only playing UDU on a gig, or have time (and money too) to place mic and mic stands on the stage.
But I mostly play live, I have to switch from UDU to the rest of the set quickly, and unfortunately I have definetely no space, time and money to add two stands and two microphones.
I tested a Takstar gooseneck minimic but it has too much "punch" and tends to feedback easily when playing bass sounds (actually, it is intended for vocal purposes, not drums)
... any suggestion?
Thank you!!! :)
yalla

Postby yalla » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:59 am

Ah, and I cannot clip any minimic on the mouth, since I play on it! I play some "small" bass sounds to incorporate in the rhythm, and there is a pretty tabla-like sound you can get when miking from the inside: keep the side hole closed with one hand and hit the mouth ad keep it closed with the other, you get a "tuinnnnnng" sound, very similar to and Indian tabla one. :)
yalla

Postby zaragemca » Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:06 pm

I know what you mean in relation to that playing technique,the problem I could see with placing a mic inside is how to keep it in place when you are playing,there are small wireless mic(the one used by TV and media workers),but you have to find out how to bind it so it would not get loose when playing the UDU.And yes... ones a mic be placed inside the body of the instrument, you might have problems with the overtones,becouse the soundwaves are going to be rambling around.

Edited By zaragemca on 1090603363
zaragemca

Postby Tonio » Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:00 am

Good point Z, yes it probably would sound like ka ka if you install a mic inside a Udu.
Where do you hear the sound outside yes?? Then that's where the mic should be. It would most definately sound best on the outside.
AKg and other manufacturers make really small condensor mics
that my help you out. but for live a dynamic would probably be best - wear and tear etc.
Is the Udu drum the main focus of the tune? If so, you would need a good mic like the 414, or maybe a Shure SM81.
Its really hard to capture a Udu in live situations. Plus its not actually a melody instrument, so it is not a priority.
But I understand that you want it to be focused. That's the hard part of being a percussionist in this modern world, we are not of much priority.
If you are, well I give all my best wishes--good luck

T
Tonio

Postby yalla » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:27 am

Hey, thank ya all!
Well, I can call me lucky, I play in a band where my percussions are fundamental part of the arrangements (there's no other drummer) and we play our own tunes, in an unplugged, acoustic style.
In some ballads, my udu IS the main focus: I play it all over the song, and both in the intro and in the coda it is played solo.
Anyway, as I told you, with that low cost, poor quality mic inside it sounds quite good. And don't worry, all sounds from bass to ringing high are quite well reproducted. The main problem is that this mic needs more than 90% of mixer gain to be heard distinctly, but in this way it's always on the feedback edge.
OK, let's go for a music shops tour to find out the best: I will carry my UDU and test every mic I see! :)
yalla

Postby yalla » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:49 pm

Well, the only solutions in the shops 'round here is the AKG C417, a lavalier vocal mini-microphone. The sound at low volume is good but it goes feedback on the bass as soon as you raise the volume at a reasonable level.
Looks like the only good mike is an AKG C418, but I'd hate to have to tear away the clip and all the housing except the capsule...
A pro sound engineer gave me a suggestion, for a mini mic he told was extremely good (I don't remember brand and model), but he told me it would cost more than 500 eur!!!! To be installed inside an instrument I bought for 65... that makes no sense!
OK, keep on searching... :(
yalla

Postby GuruPimpi » Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:27 pm

Hello guys!

Since you are all into udu...
Any online lesson how to play udu? In media player?
What is your opinion on fiberglass udu?

Thanks,

Groove,

GP
GuruPimpi

Postby pandeiro_12 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:31 am

Another slovenian in the forum...I am not the only one anymore...
lep pozdrav iz kopra..
sorry for the offtopic..
Samba
pandeiro_12

Postby yalla » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:21 pm

Hi GuruPimpi! There is something on how to play udu on LP's website Latin Percussion Anyway the UDU is quite an "istinctive" instrument, you can easily understand by youself how to get the basic tones, and experiment new sounds and/or techniques.
:)
yalla

Postby +pablo+ » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:37 pm

Greeting Yalla! Did you ever solve your mic problem for the udu? LP shows the mic hole rigged up, but never recommends a mic. I e-mailed F. Giorgini (@udu.com); I'll let you know what he says. Also, from all the small mics you looked at, is there a clip-on that might work for a berimbau? +pablo+
+pablo+
+pablo+

Postby +pablo+ » Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:43 am

FYI: here is Frank Giorgini (udu.com) comments:
The Claytone Line of Udu drums all have a small hole in the neck or side of the drum, depending on drum model. Any brand of miniature lavaliere microphone that will fit in the hole is appropriate. The difficulties associated with amplifying the Udu are distortion and feedback. In general, with the better quality microphones, there will be fewer problems. Also, if you are amplifying through a soundboard, these distortions can be eliminated through equalization. The purest deep internal Udu sounds will still result from positioning the drum in front of an external microphone. The sharper brighter sounds resulting from striking the surface of the drum are usually enhanced by the internal microphone system. In a studio situation, the Udu is often recorded utilizing both internal and external microphones. On stage the internal mic system is may be more practical.

There should be a little wad of putty like material plugging the small mic hole in your Udu drum. Remove the putty and wrap it around the base of the mic where the wire attaches. Do not cover the mic itself. Secure the mic in the hole with the putty so that it just protrudes into the interior. It should not dangle inside and the hole should be completely plugged. Some mics have a front and backside so they should be positioned to aim towards the surface of the drum you wish to accent.

An inexpensive mini microphone that functions quite well is the Audiotechnica ATR35S (approx. $70.00). I sell them for $50.00 each plus shipping.

The best microphone that I have found so far for the Udu is the Isomax 2 from Countryman Associates (approx. $360.00). I sell them for $290.00 plus shipping
+pablo+
+pablo+

Postby zaragemca » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:02 pm

As I said before any mic which would reproduce the proper bass signals would be to big to place inside the Udu,without counting the problem of keeping it from moving,and good miniature mics able to reproduce low frequencies are expensives.
zaragemca

Postby cajon » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:16 pm

GuruPimpi wrote:What is your opinion on fiberglass udu?

It has a nice sound, and its unbreakable !!
and there is already a hole in the neck to put in a small mic. but i never use this.
I'm using a AKG C-1000 about 25 cm from the uper hole (in the neck) and it gives me all the sounds i need.
When you are playing in a loud band you can also use a SM-57 from SHURE in the same position as above (same low, less high)
cajon

Return to Other instruments