Pandeiro Tips - For the beginner player

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby Colacao » Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:35 am

Hi,

I'm beginner with pandeiro and yersterday evening i tested for the very first time a CP metalic pandeiro. No more than 2 minutes...Haay!! I had my wrist on fire. I thought that's it's me
which has the bad technique, but the pandeiro is too heavy.
Now i know why my friend gave it to me.
Colacao

Postby timo » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:25 am

its allways good to have new people star out capoeira..one warning though; whatch out for the politics of capoeira, you can get yourself into a mess that way..that sucks that he doesnt teach you the music side, singing will come eventually, a good way to practice is to first learn to sing and play the other easier instruments like atabaque and pandeiro to get the rhythm stuck in your head..then learn how to talk(like a normal conversation) while playing berimbau, once you can seporate the function on talking and playing youll be able to improvise and do variations while you sing..(which is super fun :;): ) it just takes practise like everything else..
AXÉ

timo
timo

Postby Tamborim » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:42 pm

Hello panderistas.

I must admit, I dearly love the pandeiro. Brazil's national instrument. I own a lovely Bauer 10" natural head pandeiro. Although a mass produced instrument, the Bauer pandeiro sounds fantastic. It is light, has beautiful platinellas and incredible projection. I had a complaint from a resident who lives 2 blocks from my house! Mind you, I had been practicing for 6 hours non stop. :D

I can recomend the following DVDs and CDs, all have great pandeiro playing.

Trio Mocoto are back together and on their two latest CDs there is some fantastic playing. Very fast and grooving hard. I highly recomend Beleza beleza beleza. Shown in that link.

I also highly recomend their first CD after reforming, Samba rock.

I also recomend the wonderful Brasilero CD by Sergio Mendez.

Be sure to pick up a copy of Gilberto Gil's Kaya N'gan Daya DVD. There is some lovely playing on this.

I also recomend you go to Airto's site and grab a copy of his Life after that CD.

This is another DVD I highly recomend. Caetano Veloso is something very special. On this DVD he uses 4 percussionists who play a variety on instruments. Including pandeiro.

I also recomend Alfagamabetizado by Carlinhos Brown.

Check out this guy. He is a great panderista! His band is hot too.

I will try to post more later when I have more time.

Good luck.

Edited By Tamborim on 1105383069
Tamborim

Previous

Return to Other instruments