Roland HPD 15 - Roland Handsonic

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby clownmanus2000 » Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:22 pm

I have a facination with gadgets, this thing is so much fun and ive about decided to trade in my drum machine for one of these.
I am wondering if you electronic musicians have industrial spys out uncovering info on wethere this device is to become obsolite any time soon,
the priceyness of it , is nearly "gutwrenching"
ok, what you know about this jewel..?
clownmanus2000
clownmanus2000

Postby yalla » Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:37 pm

Well, I used it for a while, and here's my opinions about it. First time I was it, and checked it out at the shop, I thought it was only an "expensive toy". But when I could check it more carfuly, found it can be a very interesting device, if you adapt and correct your hand techniques into it, despite Roland says you can use traditional techniques. Once you get this, you have very interesting sounds and ways to control them. The side bands and infrared triggers (added to the rubber pad) give you very useful possibilities. Most sounds are very good - though they are not sampled. For instance, conga, bongo and djembe sounds are very good. On the other side, there are many unuseful effects and extra sounds...
In the end, I can say it could be a very intersting device, if it wasn't so expensive. (in Italy, it's sold at 1100 euros).
And let's also say, since you cannot upload any sound, that there is the risk it becomes obsolete in a few years...
nadie se salva de la rumba
yalla

Postby clownmanus2000 » Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:41 pm

yalla,
I was just reading the online manual , (obtained from a yahoo group) in english.
I am unable to determin if you are able to configure the instruments in any arangement, the terms they use are sometimes ambiguous , lack of detailed explanation / diagrams. ( or mabe its to early in the morning)
PLease stay tuned , I absolutly love this instrument, Ive found a store that "wants" to sell me a floor model for $650.00 US. the only thing thats holding me up is this programing question, I am surprised howmany design flaws i find months after buy these electronic toys. I cant aford to gamble on this one,
the peramitors on the handsonic are amazing , the filters and effects ,
thanks
clownmanus2000

Postby yalla » Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:59 pm

Well, I hope I understood correctly what you mean (I'm italian and my English knowledge is not so wide)..
I can tell you, you can easily edit several patches, assigning sounds to the various pads as you like. I don't remember how many patches are left free for the user... probably all patches are editable but I am not sure. Also, band triggers and infrared trigger parameters are adjustable.
So, my advice is: go to that shop, ask for the original Roland operations manual, get a headphone and spend some hours to fully understand all the HPD15 features. Moreover, 650 USD is a very good price, though I don't understand what "floor model" means, as far as I am informed there's only one HPD15 model... :)
nadie se salva de la rumba
yalla

Postby clownmanus2000 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:58 pm

floor model means 'used" by store customers as a demonstration model. demonstration instrument.(usually banged up a little by kids )

I have obtained the HPD 15 online and am still having difficulty due to confusing instructions, "MY english" isnt so good either.
im american.
thanks for the info.
clownmanus2000
ps >> ebay today has a unit for (last time i checked 450usd) cant buy it today but would try if i didnt have other priorities.
clownmanus2000

Return to Other instruments