Djembe

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby hughyg » Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:40 am

I was looking at getting an authetic djembe. I was wondering where people get theres and what sort of price?
Hugh
hughyg

Postby mco » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:34 am

I got my authentic Guinean djembe from http://www.alpharhythmroots.com. The site is run by a Guinea drummer named Alpha Omar Barry, and he's located in Toronto, CN. I've spoken with him on the phone a few times and he's helpful and friendly. His drums are of high quality and his prices are quite fair (especially if you are ordering from the US), based on the comparisons I've done. I've also purchased a krin (log drum) from him that is a lot of fun to play. Another site to check out is http://www.motherlandmusic.com. This site has all types of African drums, bells, and other assorted percussion from Mali, Ghana, Senegal, and Nigeria. I haven't purchased and drums from them, but I have bought a number of African bells, which were of good quality and very musical sounding. Motherland music also has some gorgeous hand-carved Congas from Mali in both lug-tuned and roped-tuned versions. Good luck.
mco

Postby hughyg » Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:14 am

Thanks MCO, I'll check them out. Wonder if they will post to Australia? ???
hughyg

Postby hughyg » Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:50 am

Another quick question. After looking at the web site- what sort of wood should I get? and what size? and where from? Is Mali the best, or Ghana etc? Im looking to include it with my LP 35th Anniversary quinto and conga set up.
Hugh
hughyg

Postby mco » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:52 am

As far as what size djembe to buy, most of the accomplished djembe players I've seen are using drums in the 12-13" range. These are big enough to give you a deep bass sound, but small enough to yield sharp slaps. My djembe is 14", which is on the large size, but I find it comfortable to play. The djembe should be made of a hardwood, and the 3 major kinds used for Guinean drums are Bala, Akajou, and Lenge. All three give good sound, but differ in appearance. My djembe is made of Acajou (African mahogany), and has a nice reddish-brown color. See http://www.magbana.com., under the "drums" section, for a nice set of photos of the different wood types.
Which country produces the best djembes? I'm no expert, and I don't want to get into trouble, but I'm sure Alpha Omar Barry at http://www.alpharhythm roots.com would tell you that Guinean djembes are the best. An instructor of mine (who trained in Guinea) also claims that djembes from Guinea are the best, due to the quality of the wood from the old-growth Guinaen forest. Some websites tout Mali-made djembes as being the best. My instructor sells Guinean djembes and all the ones I've seen and heard of are of the highest quality. Talk to Alpha at Alpha Rhythym Roots or Dan at Motherland Music. I'm sure they will be very helpful.
One other tip-you may want your djembe to have unshaved goatskin collar covering the tension hoop, like the djembes shown at thye alpha rhythm roots web site . I think it looks good and it helps protect your hands, especially as a beginner developing your technique. Please take all my advice with a grain of salt. I'm more or less a hobbyist as far a djembe playing goes. (my first love is the congas, and I'm a rank amateur at those!).
mco

Postby hughyg » Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:23 pm

Thanks for the advice I'll keep it all in mind. Ill send some enquiry emails to alpharhtym
hughyg

Postby Kari-Matti » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:57 am

I don't think that it's wise order a drum from US all the way to Australia. You can get good drums from Australia too. Just look around. And when buying a drum, I suggest that you have someone, who has experience with djembe with you to test the drums.

here's a list of Australian drum teachers. You can probably get drums from them also.

http://www.drums.org/djembefaq/AU_teachers.htm

btw got myself finally registered.
Kari-Matti

Postby zaragemca » Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:07 am

well mco,I don't have to guest why it was recomended Guinea as a makers of Djembe since they are the root of the Civilizations which created the Drumming Patterns which is played in those Djembes and the instrument itself,but it didn't happenned yesterday,but since the times of the Guinean Impire.Djembe teaching is part of my percussion Advanced Training.

Edited By zaragemca on 1081653298
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby Tonio » Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:26 am

zaragemca wrote:well mco,I don't have to guest why it was recomended Guinea as a makers of Djembe since they are the root of the Civilizations which created the Drumming Patterns which is played in those Djembes and the instrument itself,but it didn't happenned yesterday,but since the times of the Guinean Impire.Djembe teaching is part of my percussion Advanced Training.

####, If I didn't see that period(.) I would have thought you were teaching since the beginning of Djembe drumming.

T
Tonio

Postby congastu » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:04 pm

For other good makers of djembes, check out Kambala- I think theres a website along that name. If youre in uk, you can get them through Soar Valley at not bad prices.
congastu

Postby FarCanal » Fri May 07, 2004 3:12 am

Hi Hughyg,

I know where to get the best djembes at the moment which just recently been imported by a legendary African Drummer by the Name of Mohamad Bangoura (my teacher) The drums with an African Skin are selling for $550 and they are Sydney.....But I also know of s areally good retailer in Melbourne By the name of Simon Fraser in St Kilda....
Where are you from.?
john
FarCanal

Postby akdom » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:33 am

Hmmm,
Here is what I think.

don't buy online. You have to see the drum if you can. If you can't, buy one from someone travelling to burkina, guinea or ivory coast. They will bi dirt cheap (Ibought mine in Ivory coast more than 10 years ago for around US$ 20 and it is a great instrument). Remenber that the skin is more than 50% of the drum quality. So you might have to change the skin if it is not that good. A good djembe should have a crisp sound without beeing veru tight and the sound should have as less harmonic as possible.
Now, I played on djembe made out of many different woods and even if hardwood is the best, I was surprised by some masde out of coconut tree!
So try to buy oine from Africa which is not a tourist gif.

I hope this will help
akdom

Return to Other instruments