Chekere - Building my own chekere

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby mangorockfish » Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:47 am

JC you mentioned in another post that you use waxed thread for your chekeres. Where do you get it and do you use plastic beads or something else? I have two nice gourds crying to be chekeres.
Thanks
:blues:
mangorockfish

Postby Johnny Conga » Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:52 pm

Hi.... I use waxed "fishing Line" string, you can get at any fish and tackle and bait shop. I use "pony beads" or what they also call "barrel beads". The waxed string is the best I have it on my first Chekere I made in 1980, and it has never shredded or ripped apart. I use the 35 pound weight string. I have tried all kinds of string, evern rope, nothing is easier to work with than this type of string.......Let me know how u do with it....JC JOHNNY CONGA..... :;):
Johnny Conga

Postby mangorockfish » Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:33 am

Thanks JC for the input. I'm going out of town this weekend to play congas my first time in public. It's a family reunion for a friend of mine. I'm playing drumset mainly, but we're playing some acoustic stuff that I'll play congas on. I'm going to start my chekere when I get back. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again, Mango :D
mangorockfish

Postby Johnny Conga » Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:25 pm

Vaya Mango.....just remember that the more beads used the heavier the sound from the gourd ,less beads the lighter the sound. So judging how many your going to use should be thought out first, and then the design,color combinations,weight,etc...... :;): JC JOHNNY CONGA...
Johnny Conga

Postby Tonio » Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:43 pm

To add to JC's tips:
Beads types: plastic are good traditional tone, but some may break -depending on manufacturer.You need more beads for a good tone.Inexpensive.
glass beads are more transient(sharper sounding), so you don't need as much.Suprisingly unbreakable.Cost more.

The thickness of gourd makes a difference too.

It'll take about 30 hrs for 200 beads or so.

JC ever make guiro's? If so what do you use for cutting the grooves?

T
Tonio

Postby Johnny Conga » Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:25 am

I can bead a medium size gourd (soccerball size) in 5 hours. I have done it. No I have never made guiros, but I have seen a shop metal file used for the grooves. Filing the grooves. What do u use?...JC JOHNNY CONGA...
Johnny Conga

Postby Tonio » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:16 pm

5hours? man making chekere on steroids! :;):
Guess I shouldn't be drinking some cold ones while I bead up huh?

Guiro, yup I used a file . Was thinking of getting those wood carving tools.

T
Tonio

Postby Isaac » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:17 am

Anyone have a stringing guide or know of a book on
beading a chekere? I have a few gourds. I'd
like to learn how.

Isaac :p
Isaac

Return to Other instruments