while I respect and admire cajon players... - $300.00 for wood crate?

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby franc » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:00 pm

yalla, thanks a lot for your info. it is great to know about the music scene. i love the italian music tradition and its' history. do you know that the italian language and spanish can go hand by hand. i don't speak italian but sure can understand it.my best to you and see you in the forum. your friend, franc :cool:
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby yalla » Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:19 am

Hi franc! Sure Italian and Spanish can go hand by hand! I love Spanish very much, I'm trying to learn it by myself (with some booklets and audiotapes I bought) - but don't have enough time to spend on it...
Moreover, the dialect, the regional speech we speak here in Veneto (you know, Verona, Venice, Padua...) is in many words and form very similar to Spanish. Just for instance, the word "closed": in Italian is "chiuso", but in our dialect is "serado", much like the spanish "cerrado"!
Hope to hear you soon, have a nice day!
nadie se salva de la rumba
yalla

Postby franc » Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:21 pm

yes, yalla, rickie martin is way off the rumba scene!! thanks a lot for your input in the latin scene in italy . my best and ''un monton de aché to you!!! yourbfriend, franc :cool:
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby Ogunswife » Sun May 02, 2004 9:21 pm

well, guys,
if you could check out the fat congas cajones up close and personal, and examine the workmanship with a trained eye, you would see what is so easy to hear. the engineering of this box is the culmination of 10 years of continuous design development...let's see toca's and l.p's (i hear they're the same) s.e. asian factory halt the presses to make their boxes better!
and speaking of s.e. asia...wages are a just a tad better than slavery...bad for workers, great for consumers. we could talk about the materials ...the plywood is the best in the world. not the stuff you throw on a trackhouse to skin the framing (do they even do that anymore?!)
you're paying for quality, sonic and material.
that's the short story.
Ogunswife

Postby James M » Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:13 am

In Rio they used to use a plate and fork for scrapers, frying pans for bells and ago-gôs (frãpanzinho). If somebody comes along and makes the mother of all plate and fork scrapers and sells it for $149.99, telling me that 10 years worth of research and experience went in to making it and I need to hear to believe, I'm still not going to buy it. I have played the Fat Conga Cajons. I'm not going to buy one of those, either.
James M

Postby James M » Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:53 am

I did spend U$715 on a 48" Sabian Gong (gong, stand, mallet). It is one of my most prized possessions. i took out the dining room table to set it up. Amazing, complex, bassy resonance, but essentially a large, brass dinner plate.

Here are some short and sweet sound samples with cajon and guitar in various styles. Conspicuously absent are any peruvian sound samples:

http://www.cajondg.com/musica_eng.htm

Edited By James M on 1086152936
James M

Postby Ivan » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:53 pm

James,
Thanks for sharing the site with us... :D I am in love with the Cajon Zambo - I love the idea of a snare switch... $360.00 US dollars is pretty pricey ??? but just the idea of a snare switch on a cajon is worth it. If I decide to purchase the Cajon Zambo - it would like you said "a prized posession". I'd be scared to play it... :p

Anyway, thanks for sharing the wonderful site. Another site to check out if you haven't already is http://www.tonecajon.com
Ilu Ache,
Ivan
Ivan

Postby James M » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:48 pm

Hey, Ivan. That is pretty cool. Another idea, I don't if any makers do this or not, is to have tunable strings inside that can resonate and add a little color to the rones. Especially playing with a guitarist, the strings might be able to match the overtones the guitar is producing. The trick is to make them tunable and removable. I've been searching for some drum making sites and found this one: http://www.mimf.com/link2.htm

It shows how to make a great variety of musical instruments, including the cajon and the Cuban trapezoidal plywood conga, the Caja.
James M

Postby Colacao » Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:52 am

Hello,

Here you have nice Flamenco and Celtas cajon models :

http://www.ocanartesania.com/V2/index.html
Colacao

Postby James M » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:30 pm

http://search.ebay.com/cajon_Percussion_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR8QQsacategoryZ10172QQsomorecategoriesZ1
James M

Postby Mike » Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:44 pm

Hi James M,
unfortunately the link about cajon building is broken down. Is there any chance to get the information elsewhere. I would greatly appreciate it, because I´d like to build a cojon in my holidays.
Thanks!!
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Mike » Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:47 pm

P.S.

http://www.mimf.com/link2.htm

I meant that address you posted, James. If I click it and try to check the link "How to build cajon" , it just says weird things (at least to me ;-)
Peace & drum
Mike

Previous

Return to Other instruments