while I respect and admire cajon players... - $300.00 for wood crate?

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby James M » Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:43 am

How do cajon makers justify pricing a cajon at more than $50.00, let alone $300? I mean, it's a wooden box. I could've made when in shop class in junior high. A box with a hole. What is the cost of the wood and the labor that justifies that? Maybe I'm missing something and somebody can take me to school on this.
James M

Postby Tonio » Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:07 am

I don't get it either. are you talking about the Fat Congas cajones? If, so they did find a niche to producing them, and do sound good. Maybe they are looking to subsidise since they can't sell much congas. Though whenever I hear them, they are awesome sounding. The congas are priced similar to Timba-Moperc. But I understand teh yput fibeglass on the outside, much like Gons Bops did.

Expensive eh?

T
Tonio

Postby James M » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:59 am

Yeah, the fat conga cajon price tag caught my eye, but it's almost impossible to find one reasonably priced. Fiber glass is still cheap. Maybe if they used some sort of specially designed carbon fiber bracing system, or something, but I just don~t see it, especially in regards to the history of the instrument. 9 times out of 10 with these things you pay the "preso gringo".
James M

Postby yalla » Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:27 am

Yeah James, I agree with you. I made my cajon by myself with something like 15 USD of material, and it sounds better than some of the famous brands ones... you can see my review on this site of the Pearl one...
Let's also say that the only part of the cajon where wood quality is important is on the playing surface - the rest can be made of normal multi-ply wood, easily found in any hardware or do-it-yourself shop at very low prices.
Here in Italy percussion market and distribution is still poor, so I can not find any Fat Congas cajones to try... but I still think you'd better build your own, there will be an added value... when people will hear you playing and will ask "where did you bauy that cajon" you will answer "I made it by miself" with a big smile on your face... :D :D
nadie se salva de la rumba
yalla

Postby gilbert » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:48 pm

well it cost me 20 $ :p
gilbert

Postby franc » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:22 am

well you guys , probably the reason is the sound it produces. i guess is not easy to get the exact conga or bongo sound. it must take time, no?? if not, i'm agree with you. they are expensive. i will probably buy the cajon bongos, but not until i find out about the sound they produces i know they are very lite and easy to carry. my best and take care!! franc:cool:
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby yalla » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:04 pm

Hi franc! We were discussing about the traditional cajones, the box-shaped ones, your sit on them and strike the front side.
That's why we all think they cost too much. If the price was for cajon/bongos, or congas, then maybe it was fair.
By the way, there are wonderful conga-like cajones made by Schlagwerk, a German manufacturer. Take a look at their site, and check out the Yambù cajon, or the Cajongas. Never heard about these produtcs? I tell you, they look and sound wonderful!!! :) :) :)
yalla

Postby franc » Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:01 pm

thanks a lot yalla!! i will do that. also , please tell me how is the salsa scene in italy. i'm curious, since Italy is where the history of music began. correct me if i'm wrong. changing subject about cajones, sorry!! i though you wher mentioning the conga or bongo cajon. i don't know much about the tradtional cajones. tell me are you italian?? how is the latino community in Italy?? thanks a lot, my friend. Aché to you and all in the forum!!! '' con el coqui en clave'', franc
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby yalla » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:16 am

Well, the salsa scene in Italy is very lively relating to dance: some years ago, the world champions at the Puerto Rico Salsa Championship were italian. There are plenty of latin-american dance schools, most of which are very well directed by good teachers from Cuba, S.Domingo, and so on.
I am Italian, so I don't know much about latino communities in Italy, I can tell you in my town (Verona, the town of Romeo & Juklet, you know? ) the biggest community is the brazilian one, but there are many dominican, and cuban peaple.
Unfortunately, the salsa scene is not so lively regarding the musicians, there are several salsa (and latin-oriented) bands but the most part are more interested in business than in making good authentic: and that's where the bad point is.
It's true, we can say that the history of classic music, and Opera, has much of its roots in Italy, but nowadays music knowledge is very poor for the "average italian". This begins at primary school, where music is teached only one hour a week, almost boring you with notes writing and reading, without teaching you how to listen, how to enjoy and love music.
The result is, back to latin music, that the best knowledge of the "average italian" about it is Ricky Martin... :(
Ok, ok... that's off topic... sorry!
yalla

Postby yalla » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:18 am

"Juklet" ??????????? :D I meant "Juliet", obviously!!!
:p
yalla

Postby Kari-Matti » Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:12 am

I got really intrested in this cajon making, and want all the info I can get.

When making a cajon, where do you put seeds to get the "crackling" sound, like the cajons from peru have?

Yalla, you said that only material that matters is the plying surface, so what's the wood to use for it?
Kari-Matti

Postby yalla » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:13 am

Hey KariMatti! The best solution for the palying surface (and quite cheap too) is the "Avio" multiply wood. I don't know if they call it "avio" also in your country, anyway it's the wood used to make airplane models, you know, that little do-it-yourself airplanes which really fly using a small engine.
You might think that a single sheet of solid quality wood(mahogany, teak, maple, birch...) would sound better, but it would not be the best solution because of the small thickness: a single sheet of 3 or 4 mm will suffer from moisture, and surely break under strong strokes.
For the crackling/buzzing sounds, there are several solutions: you can attach the snares of a snaredrum on the inside of the playing surface (towards the bottom), using velcro strips: in this way you can attach and remove the snares as you like.
I have some very good instructions with all measures, tips, materials, given to me my fabrizio (a member of this forum too).
If you want I can translate the text in english and send it with the building plans to you, just give me your email address!
yalla

Postby Kari-Matti » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:49 am

Yalla, I would really appreciate, if you would translate and send me the plans.

my e-mail address is karijakari@hotmail.com

btw do you buy the wood "avio", from a regular wood store or from shop tha is specialized in model airplanes?
Kari-Matti

Postby yalla » Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:13 pm

OK! I will be glad to help you, just allow me some days to translate the text (don't have too much spare time these days... )
The "Avio" multiply wood can be easily found in model-making specialzed shops. Maybe you can find it at cheaper prices at do-it-yourself megastores.
BYE!
:)
yalla

Postby Kari-Matti » Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:58 am

thanks. no need to hurry, I got so much other things on my mind right now, that I can maybe start this project in june. and when you send me the e-mail, put something describing topic. I get so much spam, that I can easilly discard it accidentially. thanks again.
Kari-Matti

Next

Return to Other instruments