cajon advice - Pearl tube cajons

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby mco » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:44 am

I'm looking for a conga-style cajon to play in my percussion circle for those times when we have mostly frame drums playing and even congas can be a little overpowering. The Pearl Elite tube cajons look interesting. I like the fact that if the different sized Pearl models can nest inside one another if you own more than one. Has anyone heard or played them? The other model I'm interested in is the Fat Congas Segundo cajon. Has anyone compared the two? I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.
mco

Postby franc » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:09 am

mco, como estas!! also any one out there know about the pearl bongo cajon?? do they sound identical?? do they sound like the real thing or wooden bongos ?? are they great for practicing in a ensemble??my best and take care !! , franc :cool:
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby mco » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:01 pm

greetings, franc. I was surfing the web and I found all wood bongos made by Mountain Rythyms (their spelling) and by Toca. The Mountain Rythyms set look nice. They also had all wood djembes, as does Toca. I wish my local stores had these in stock to try. The bongos look especially interesting.
I also found out that Mountain Rythyms makes a set of beautiful mahogany congas, with calfskin heads. I couldn't find a price, but they did say each set is made to order and takes at least 6 weeks.
mco

Postby yalla » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:18 pm

mco.... forget the Pearl Elite Tube cajon. It sounds AWFUL. Hit the table in your kitchen, you get the same sound.
Unfotunately, I could not check any Fat Congas products.
I would recommend Schlagwerk products, especially the Yambù Cajon and the Cajongas, the set of three cajongas nest inside one another and they also feature some velcro strips on the sides, so that you can attach one to the other to have a steady set. I think the sound of those Cajongas is perfect to be combined with frame drums.Check them out!
:)
nadie se salva de la rumba
yalla

Postby yalla » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:23 pm

oooppss... here's their site: Schlagwerk
Take a look! :)
yalla

Postby yalla » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:36 pm

And "oooooppps" again... the Cajongas don't nest one inside the other. They are of the same size, but with three different pitches.
Anyway, they are compact enough to be carried all the three into one single conga bag. :)
yalla

Postby tamboricua » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:14 pm

Hi Congaforum,

Check out the stuff my friend Pedro Barriera from Ponce, Puerto Rico has available @

Pedro Barriera's Wood Instruments!

Pedro was the original manufacturer of the first wooden bongó, these days copied by everyone! He also has available a ©KongaMadera and a ©Barril Bomba Madera.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1081869330
tamboricua

Postby yalla » Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:18 pm

WOW! That woodenbongo sounds awesome!
Unfortunately I live in Italy, looks like it's hard to get something from PuertoRico easily.... ???
yalla

Postby mco » Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:31 pm

Thanks for the info, yalla and tamboricua. Those wood bongos from Puerto Rico do look nice! I can tell my wife that they are objet d'arts for display on a shelf so she won't be angry at me for having bought yet another percussion item.
mco

Postby tamboricua » Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:39 pm

yalla wrote:WOW! That woodenbongo sounds awesome!
Unfortunately I live in Italy, looks like it's hard to get something from PuertoRico easily.... ???

Yalla, get in touch with Pedro Barriera at konga@prtc.net, he ships worldwide.Tell him Jorge Ginorio gave you his contact e-mail address. Hope this helps!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby yalla » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:55 am

thank you tamboricua! I will contact Pedro and see what comes out... :)
yalla

Postby mco » Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:09 am

I received my "bongo madera" from Pedro Barriera the other day. These are the wooden bongos that tamboricua gave us the tip on in a previous post. Pedro's bongos sound really good, are well made and are fun to play. Slaps sound especially good on these drums. I sat outside yesterday jammin' on them without bothering my neighbors too much. Pedro was nice to deal with and shipped me the drums quickly after receiving my payment. Thanks for your advice, tamboricua. :)
mco

Postby tamboricua » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:44 pm

mco wrote:I received my "bongo madera" from Pedro Barriera the other day. These are the wooden bongos that tamboricua gave us the tip on in a previous post. Pedro's bongos sound really good, are well made and are fun to play. Slaps sound especially good on these drums. I sat outside yesterday jammin' on them without bothering my neighbors too much. Pedro was nice to deal with and shipped me the drums quickly after receiving my payment. Thanks for your advice, tamboricua. :)

No problem! I'm glad you liked them.

All the best,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Return to Other instruments