Colombian Caja Drum - Another know how to play it?

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby CongaCaja » Fri Sep 13, 2002 3:31 am

Oops...I meant to say, "Anyone know how to play?"

A couple of years ago while on vacation in Cartagena, Colombia, I got turned on to the coolness of Vallenato music. This coastal style of music traditionally consists of three band members and one of those members plays a small drum. The "caja" (box) drum is a hand drum that is approximately 10 inches in diameter.

Below are some links to what it looks like

http://www.vallesounds.com/media/Instrum.jpeg

http://www.salsanama.ch/vallenato%2001.jpg

I haven't yet found any instructional info on the net. Although I'll probably find a teacher during my next trip to Colombia, I'd prefer to get started now.

Anyone know of any on-line resources *or* teacher in the SF Bay area?

thanks!

cjk

Edited By CongaCaja on Sep. 13 2002 at 03:12
CongaCaja

Postby tamboricua » Sat Sep 14, 2002 4:24 pm

Hi CongaCaja, hope all is well! If you do find any instructional material on the caja vallenata, please let me know.

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Laurent Lamy » Sat Sep 14, 2002 6:18 pm

I am very interested to :0
Laurent Lamy

Postby CongaCaja » Sun Sep 15, 2002 11:33 pm

yes, I will share any information that I can find.

Whether or not I am not able to find anything on-line, I plan to find an instructor during my next trip to Colombia (christmas?). I will post whatever materials that I find. If there are no materials, I will notate what I learn and make it available.

my promise :D

cjk

Edited By CongaCaja on Sep. 15 2002 at 04:34
CongaCaja

Postby tamboricua » Thu Sep 19, 2002 7:21 pm

Hi CongaCaja, hope all is well! Did you catch Carlos Vives performance last night as part of the Latin Grammys ceremony? It included some caja vallenata playing. Vives performance was one the best performances of the night.

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio ;)
tamboricua

Postby CongaCaja » Fri Sep 20, 2002 7:24 pm

Doing good here, Jorge. In fact, my new drums arrived to my office and I can't wait to take them home tonight. :D

Carlos Vives was on TV last night? I missed it. :( Not only did I miss out on the drumming, but also my girlfriend (una colombiana) is going to be disappointed. oops!

Hope all is good there.

cjk

ps.
with the new drums, I guess I be cruising the techniques and exercises topics this weekend.

Edited By CongaCaja on Sep. 20 2002 at 00:25
CongaCaja

Postby tamboricua » Fri Sep 20, 2002 7:37 pm

Not only did I miss out on the drumming, but also my girlfriend (una colombiana) is going to be disappointed. oops!

Vaya CongaCaja, hope all is well! Entonces si que estas en problemas. :0

Have fun with your new drums!

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on Sep. 19 2002 at 21:37
tamboricua

Postby Victor A Cruz » Mon Mar 24, 2003 10:13 pm

tamboricua wrote:Hi CongaCaja, hope all is well! If you do find any instructional material on the caja vallenata, please let me know.

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio

This is for the guy that wants to play caja vallenata.
I read your message the other day and I thought it was really cool that some from other country wanted to play a typical Colombian intrument. :)

I'm colombian, I have a caja vallenata and I know how to play many rhythms from the vallenato family.(vallenato music)
If I can be helful to you in any way I'll be glad to do it. o let me know.
And..... thanks for enjoying my country's music.
el parcero, Victor A Cruz.
Victor A Cruz

Postby tamboricua » Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:09 pm

Hola Víctor, saludos. Hope all is well! Welcome to the Congaforum and thanks for your response. Hermano, your country Colombia has a very rich musical tradition with a lot of sentimiento y sabor, música muy sabrosa!

It will be nice if you can describe to us a little bit about the different types of rhythms played within the Vallenato family. Also, if you can give us some good CD's recommendations, in order to become more familiar with the different artists that preserve this style of Colombian music. De antemano muchas gracias por su ayuda. Looking forward to hear from you soon!

Cordialmente,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby CongaCaja » Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:34 pm

I'm colombian, I have a caja vallenata and I know how to play many rhythms from the vallenato family.(vallenato music)
If I can be helful to you in any way I'll be glad to do it. o let me know.

Victor, hola! disculpame... no vei su mensaje hasta ahora (meses despues)

I am very interested in your offer for information on how to play the caja vallenata.

If you register at this discussion board, we can trade messsages that manner. Or, if you have an email address, we can exchange information that way also.

I have a caja drum that I purchased in Cartagena. I would like to know information about basic techniques ( tipos de los golpes, posiciones de las manos, etc. ) and rhythms ( ritmos ).

mil gracias, hasta pronto... chris
CongaCaja

Return to Other instruments