more questions about chekere

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby Kari-Matti » Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:50 pm

hi

I just wanted to know how to make the low "boom" sound on a chekere. Hitting with your palm, I know, but my chekere is quite small, about 15cm in diameter, so how do you do it a small chekere? can it be done only with bigger ones?
Kari-Matti

Postby 120decibels » Fri Jul 11, 2003 5:05 pm

Hi Kari-Matti,

With a smaller chekere, there is less volume inside the chekere, so there is less resonant area. Therefore, the bass sound will not be as pronounced as with a larger gourd. The bass sound is also very dependant on the shape of the gourd and the size of the opening at the top.

I don't know of any other way to make the bass sound other than to strike the bottom of the gourd with your palm. (strike it off-center to avoid breaking a natural gourd!))

Good Luck!

Zach

Edited By 120decibels on July 11 2003 at 12:06
120decibels

Postby Kari-Matti » Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:07 am

my chekere is so small that I can't fit my palm under it without hitting the beads. the opening is very small, but I can hear the sound when I tap it with my fingers. I guess I'll just have learn how to do that in a rhythm.

thanks for the tips.

I'll have to get a bigger chekere someday
Kari-Matti

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:20 pm

HI for most good chekeres should be at least soccer or basketball size to have a good "oom" from striking the bottem of the gourd. Another way to bring the "oom" out is to pour varathane inside and swirl it around inside after the inside has been thoroughly cleaned out and is naked inside. In about 2 days after it has dried inside the gourd will have a much louder "oom". Hope this helps, try Gourds.com and see who pops up for gourds to buy and string yourself if you know how....Peace and congas...JC JOHNNY CONGA ;)
JohnnyConga

Return to Other instruments