shaker flat bambo instrument - what is it called?

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby congabebe » Thu Mar 27, 2003 4:40 am

Hi,
I saw a conga player using a flat bambo instrument that looked like a placemat. It was small bamboo stems woven together with beads or seads inside of it. And it make the sound like a shaker but a shoosh instead of a swish, so it make a great accompaniment for a jazz trio. The conga player used it to make a shuffle sound like a wire brush on a snare. Has anyone seen this? Do you know what it is called? I have never seen anything like it. I have been looking on the web to see if I can find one but haven't been able to.

Thank you,
Congabebe
congabebe

Postby fabrizio » Tue May 20, 2003 4:59 pm

Hi, finally I found it! The instrument you're asking for is called KAYAMBA, from Kenia, Tanzania and Madagascar, the other names are kiyamba, caiambe, kavia, kayambe', kayanm.
It is normally 3-4 cm high and measurements from 18x24 cm to 45x60 cm. Inside it is divided into two parts and is filled with beans, oyster shells and little stones. It is played as an afuche', african shaker and chocalho are played.
It is available from Afroton (frankfurt-Germany) or in every ethnic shop(here in Europe). If you want to know more and receive a photograph with this instrument opened (for inside seeing), send me Your email so I send You the material. Nice to help You, Fabrizio. fabriperc@libero.it
fabrizio

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed May 21, 2003 12:42 am

Fabrizio you nailed it!...JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Return to Other instruments