Question about Shekere.

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby RayBoogie » Sat Apr 26, 2003 10:15 am

How tight is the net suppose to be of a shekere? The reason I ask is because, my shekere's net is loose against the gourd. My brand of shekere is called MARU. Is anyone familiar with this brand? I see LP shekere net is very tight to the gourd. Should my shekere's net be tighter and if so, how do I go about doing this? All responses welcomed!

RayBoogie
RayBoogie

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Apr 26, 2003 2:53 pm

Hi Ray ...the "skirt" should be loose enough to be able to move freely around the gourd.Forget LP they make terrible chekeres. It is an art to making a chekere. I have been making them for over 25 years and you have to know about size,weight, the more beads the louder the sound the less beads the lighter the sound. It takes a certain "balance" in making them. so you can control the skirt to do what you need to do with it......any other questions?...At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby RayBoogie » Sat Apr 26, 2003 3:00 pm

Your the man JC!

Thanks
RayBoogie
RayBoogie

Postby Simon B » Mon Apr 28, 2003 12:27 pm

A percussionist who works part-time in a store I trust tells me that the Pearl Shekere is the best of all the major brands. (He showed me the LP too, the beads were excessively long, hanging down like tentacles from a squid). Where the Pearl model seems extremely poor is in the distribution - apparently Pearl are known for it - I've been waiting more than six months for the thing!

Simon B
Simon B

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Apr 28, 2003 2:45 pm

To tell you the truth I didn't know Pearl made chekeres. I don't think they have them in their catalog. but I wouldn';t buy one from anybody when I can make my own like I have been doing for 25 years. Soooooooooo.....the Banda Bros have on their site their Chekeres, check them out!. They look good and I would imagine they sound good too. ...At your Service..JC JOHNNY CONGA.... ;)
JohnnyConga

Return to Other instruments