Cajones (packing-boxes)

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby Simon B » Sat Jun 15, 2002 11:09 pm

Just been jamming with an Argentine percussionist friend. He played his congas sat atop his home-made cajone (I think this is the word) and then played me a few riffs on it just before he left. I can now imagine how good Cuban rumbas must sound with a host of these!

Marcello says his has a poor sound and that a good one is hard to make. Where do people stand on bought versus home-made cajones? (I think I'd life to try and make one)

Simon B
Simon B

Postby Mike » Tue Jun 18, 2002 8:41 am

Hey, I planned to build one myself as well in the summer. Let´s talk about our experiences. I have no idea yet how to do it. ;) I´m going to ask a carpenter for assistance..
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Jun 18, 2002 8:24 pm

:D Hey Guys go to your local drum store and chek out the New Cajon . Can't think of the Brand name at this time but what is unique is that it has a couple of wires inside so you have a "rattel response' from the wires when you strike the Cajon. it cost about 90 bucks and has a black design on the front of it. It's smokin. The original "Cajones" came from the "Port of Matanzas",Cuba in the late 1890's when the men on there "lunch break' would start a mini-rumba on the docks,using "Cod Fish" boxes and rum barrels to recreate the sounds of their "memories" from Mother Africa. Cajon's are also part of the folkloric music of Peru,ex.Alex Acuna. and other areas of South America. At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Jun 19, 2002 3:23 pm

:D OOOps! I almost forgot "Flamenco Rumba" from Spain also utilize the Cajon.........JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Postby tamboricua » Thu Jun 20, 2002 1:19 am

;) Hi Johnny, hope all is well! That black cajón you refer to is the new World Beat flamenco cajón, designed by Mario Cortéz for LP. A beatiful and very expressive instrument!

Hope this helps!

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby RayBoogie » Thu Jun 20, 2002 2:04 am

How about Fat Conga cajones and Pearl which is more of a cylinder shape. How do they sound? I was thinking of getting one of these products. Which has a richer tone?
RayBoogie

Postby tamboricua » Thu Jun 20, 2002 2:32 am

;) Hi RayBoogie, hope all is well! I did play the Fat Congas Cuban style cajones. Very nice, stuff! Fat Congas also have available batájones and a string cajón on their line. I did play Pearl's tube cajones at the P.A.S.I.C. convention, but they didn't impressed me in anything.

Hope this helps!

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby RayBoogie » Thu Jun 20, 2002 8:33 am

What is it that you don't like about PEARL cajones (TAMB).
RayBoogie

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Jun 20, 2002 2:37 pm

:D Hi...I like the Pearl Quinto Tube cajon,it's not bad. It's good enough to toughen up yours hands,that's for sure. I have played on the Batajones, I thought now this is similar but different. It is still up to the individual sound your looking for in the instrument you want to play. We will always have variety and that's a good thing,I think.. At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA.....just back from the Ocho Rios Jazz Festival in Jamaica, we slammed them!...Touring with a Latin-Jazz/Salsa Quintet called for now-Saoco-with Noel Torres on Keys-Junito Martinez(Batacumble)Drums-Dustin Bear on Saxes-Pepi Aparicio on bass, and me on congas/vibes/perc......
JohnnyConga

Postby tamboricua » Thu Jun 20, 2002 7:52 pm

In my humble opinion, the Pearl Tube cajones tone is awful and lack projection. Now that we are in the topic of cajones make sure and check out Pedro Barriera's wood bongó, Cajón Yambú, and the Konga Madera. All excellent stuff!

http://www.woodenbongo.com

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio ;) ;)

Edited By tamboricua on June 19 2002 at 22:05
tamboricua

Postby RayBoogie » Fri Jun 21, 2002 2:46 am

(TAMB) How much is the wooden bongos going for?? JC glad you had a good gig in Jamaica. Que siges la Rhumba!!!
RayBoogie

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Jun 21, 2002 3:39 pm

:D Hola Jorge..You know as well as i do the Tube cajones are just a "novelty" instrument.Nothing to be taken seriously. Just another product to sell. But I did like the quinto to warm up my hands with. At your service...JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby tamboricua » Sat Jun 22, 2002 5:36 pm

Bueno mi gente, para los gustos los colores! Give a try to Pedro Barriera's stuff. Not mass produced, just quality! I believe his new wooden bongó model go for $75.00, is a new desing following some of "Changuito" specifications.

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio :D
tamboricua

Postby Magnus Lindgaard Jochumse » Wed Jul 31, 2002 2:36 pm

Hey everybody! My advice for you is to check at "cajon la perú" from Schlagwerk (a german company). Very nice variety in tone ranging from cracking, snapping, "snare-like" sound to a deep full bass.
Magnus Lindgaard Jochumse

Postby Simon B » Tue Oct 08, 2002 5:50 pm

What sort of strokes do people apply when playing their cajones?

Are there recognised specific cajon-specific strokes, or is it a mixture of transforming generic hand-drum strokes and being inventive?

Thanks

Simon B
Simon B

Next

Return to Other instruments