Cajones (packing-boxes)

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby 120decibels » Tue Oct 08, 2002 7:16 pm

I've been playing cajones with my teacher and learning a lot about them lately. Most of the basic conga strokes work. You can get tones, slaps, bass notes and muffs. However, shuffles (like in the mambo tumbao) don't work. A lot of the little timekeepers and subtle things on congas don't come off as well on boxes.

I've learned that I rely too much on "filling the gaps" with grace notes and shuffles. Your rhythms and solos tend to have to be more open on cajon. Playing boxes has really improved my internalization of syncopated rhythms and the clave.

I don't know if there are any specific cajon strokes. However, stroke placement is key in getting the sounds to come out. It's a little different than playing a skin drum.

My recommendation, mess around until you figure out how to get the sounds you want.

What kind of cajon are you playing?

Zach
120decibels

Postby Simon B » Wed Oct 09, 2002 5:36 pm

What kind of cajon are you playing?

I'm not!

I'm considering buying (I think I lack the skill to make) one which would serve also as a seat for playing congas - I am sick of having to sit too low or high on ill-fitting bar stools when I play out!

Simon B
Simon B

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Oct 10, 2002 1:37 am

:D THERE ARE 2 MAIN STROKES FOR PLAYING CAJON. STRIKING THE UPPER CENTER FOR TONES AND THE OUT TOP EDGES OF THE TOP PART OF THE CAJON FOR SLAPS,THERE IS ALSO "MUFFING" AND "PALMING"FOR THE DEEP TONES IN THE "MIDDLE CENTER" OF THE CAJON. yOU CAN ALSO,"SHUFFLE' ON THE CAJON USING YOUR THUMBS TO FINGER TIPS,IN A WAY THAT lOS MUNEQUITOS OPEN THERE RUMBAS WITH A 2 HAND SHUFFLE...HOPE THAT HELPS...AT YOUR SERVICE...JC JOHNNY CONGA.... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby Simon B » Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:14 pm

OK guys, now I am DEFINITELY buying a cajon after listening to yambus from Los Munequitos de Matanazas - but which one? I don't really want a cylindrical one, I'd rather the classic box shape. LP World Beat Flamenco model has been mentioned by Jorge - is this the top dog?

Simon B
Simon B

Postby tamboricua » Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:14 am

Simon B wrote:OK guys, now I am DEFINITELY buying a cajon after listening to yambus from Los Munequitos de Matanazas - but which one? I don't really want a cylindrical one, I'd rather the classic box shape. LP World Beat Flamenco model has been mentioned by Jorge - is this the top dog?

Simon B

Hi Simon, hope all is well! The new World Beat Flamenco cajón is made by Mario Cortes for LP. A master cajón maker in the flamenco tradition out of Spain. His cajones are played by top cajoneros all over the world.

Now, if you want to play Yambú, that Flamenco cajón will be very limited and maybe you will be able cover the Cajón bajo part with it. If you want the "real cuban sound" check out Pedro Barriera's, KongaMadera and his CajónYambú at:

http://www.woodenbongo.com

or Fat Congas Cuban style cajones at:

http://www.fatcongas.com

For some cooking cajón licks with a lot of "Yunfá" and "chequendeque" check out Cliff Brooks site:

http://www.afrocubanchops.com

Hope this helps!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
http://www.rhythmweb.com/jorge
tamboricua

Postby Simon B » Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:11 pm

Now, if you want to play Yambú, that Flamenco cajón will be very limited and maybe you will be able cover the Cajón bajo part with it. If you want the "real cuban sound" check out Pedro Barriera's, KongaMadera and his CajónYambú at:

Thanks for the response Jorge. I have checked out those sites. A couple of things I'm wondering. Does Yambu have more than one cajon playing rhythms, with one acting as a 'quinto'? On Los Muniquitos it sounds like this, with the 'soloist' getting played the wooden conga in a store, and remember it had a pitched open tone rather than the tuneless 'thwack' which I associate with cajon playing and am after!)

And does the Flamenco cajon have a narrower range than the Yambu cajon. What is the difference?

Thanks

Simon
Simon B

Postby tamboricua » Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:51 pm

Hi Simon, hope all is well! Yes, in Yambú there are more than one cajón playing different parts at the same time. Instrumentation wise, I had seen numerous combinations while playing Yambú, each folkloric group with it's own trademark. Also, remember that Yambú has regional differences. Havaneros and Matanceros each has it's own particular way of playing this variant of the rumba. Check out some recordings by:

Clave y Guaguancó
Yoruba Andabo
Los Muñequitos de Matanzas
Grupo Afrocuba de Matanzas

Hope this helps!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on Feb. 07 2003 at 20:42
tamboricua

Postby tamboricua » Fri Feb 07, 2003 8:56 pm

Simon, is not that the Flamenco cajón has a more narrower range, because a flamenco cajón played by a good cajonero will have endless possibilities and sounds. The point is that a Flamenco cajón will be more appropiate to play Flamenco type music. However, you are more than welcome to experiment with it and find out what work best for you. There are no rules! On the other hand, if you want to play "authentic" Rumba Yambú, I suggest to check out the Cuban type cajones.

Hope this helps!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Previous

Return to Other instruments