Buying a Djembe - Need suggestion

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby rhythmisit » Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:39 pm

I am looking around for a good Djembe - I tried Remo stuff, not at all impressed with any sizes, too ringy and artificial sound. Unfortunately my budget is around 200. I tried one Djembe from Mali and that sounded real good with good punch to bass and clear crispy slaps and sharp open tones. Also what is the best size to get? I was kinda inclined towards 14". How about rope tuning system. I looked at key tuned for convenience but I doubt one may need to tune this instrument often or need to detune like congas after each play. Any information where I can find good professional quality djembe at reasonable prices would be helpful, thanks. ???
rhythmisit

Postby timo » Fri Jan 24, 2003 7:09 am

It depends on what you mean by 'professional quality', personally I would never by a djembe that has lug tuning, allways rope, djembes from Ghana, Senegal, Gambia, all north-west of africa tend to be good quality. Go there and you'll get one for a fraction of the price you pay anywhere else, plus you could propably find a excelent one... ;) I payed about 100bucks for my djembe, on size; you just got to go with what feels best for you.
AXÉ

timo
timo

Return to Other instruments