Buying a Djembe

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby Simon B » Wed May 29, 2002 10:10 pm

I want to buy a Djembe. The choice available to me seems to be between the generic Djembe made by one of the large Western companies, or one direct from a workshop in Africa through a small percussion distributors here in the UK called Ghana Goods. Both are similar in price.

Should I stick to the likes of Toca or LP, or go for the indigenous independent?

Simon B
Simon B

Postby timo » Thu May 30, 2002 7:15 am

I would go for the real thing, my djembe is made in ghana and it sounds great, besides all these large companys make enough money from other stuff. pic the one that sounds better,(usullay the better ones are made in Africa). :)
AXÉ

timo
timo

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu May 30, 2002 9:18 pm

Hi... I would go with either a drum from Ghana or Senegal. usually one piece drum no staves. It would help if you also new how to string one in case you have to change the skin. At your Service.....JC JOHNNY CONGA...
JohnnyConga

Postby Simon » Fri Nov 08, 2002 11:41 am

I play a western synthetic djembe and the sound is good although a bit 'ringy'. I took a lot of tuning with much gaffer tape. I think the genuine African drums do sound better as long as you get a good one. I've played a few from Gambia which sound great, but I stress it needs to be of good quality.

Here is some good info on rope tuning:
http://www.bongocentral.com/rope.htm
Simon

Postby Fish » Fri Nov 08, 2002 12:11 pm

In my (limited) experience an proper African djembe is much better in tone but is nowhere near as loud as a synthetic. If you are playing gigs where you are miked - go African. If not perhaps go synthetic. Also the goat hair around the rim of the African ones I've played on gives me a rash if I play too long - but that's just me.

That's all,

El Fisho
Fish

Postby Djembefola24 » Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:35 pm

I guess it really depends on wether you play traditional style or not. The synthetic drums are ok if you like low tuning or playing in the rain. They're also really light compared to high quality djembes from Guinea, Mali, or Senegal. I think these drums are just as loud if not louder than the synthetics. Do a search for senegal style djembes. They're pretty good quality at excellent prices. Hope this helps......
Djembefola24

Postby 120decibels » Thu Nov 21, 2002 1:15 pm

In my experience with Djembes, a properly pulled (tuned) wood djembe with a good head on it is one of the loudest drums I've ever heard. Djembes were/are used not only for music, but for communication. Their sound must be able to carry for miles. The synthetic drums are a good imitation. I haven't heard one that it louder (relative to size) than a natural drum.

An interesting story comes out of this discussion. A few years ago, I was at a Percussive Arts Society convention where Leon Mobley was giving a clinic. Mobley is a Remo endorsee/endorsor. He preached about how the Remo synthetic drums were saving trees and animals. When an audience member challenged him by saying that the plastics used in remo drums were also killing the environment, Mobley would have none of it. He nearly had the guy thrown out of the clinic. I wonder where the balance is between saving trees and polluting the environment to create synthetics?

Zach
120decibels

Postby 120decibels » Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:38 pm

For a really nice Djembe, check out this website:

Baile's African Drum Works

Baile makes some of the best sounding drums I've ever heard. He also has some superb craftsmanship. I believe most of his shells come from Africa. His skins do to.

Check him out. I've been to his workshop. It's a sight to see if you're ever in the Washington D.C. area.

Zach
120decibels

Postby Fish » Sat Nov 23, 2002 9:49 am

Opinion seems to be against me here...

Just to clarify - what I was saying about the loudness factor. I have since investigated somewhat closer and what I suppose I really meant is that the one synthetic I have played on tends to cut through other sounds a lot better than the one African I have played on. I believe this quality is colloquially known as "chiff" amongst musicians (which I'm sure you'll agree is a fantastic word).

Chiff, chiff, chiff - hee,hee.

Fish
Fish

Return to Other instruments