Difference between Cuban and Africa Chekere

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby Simon B » Fri Oct 11, 2002 11:29 pm

Just seen the Giovanni and Steve Gadd Modern Drummer video - in particular I love Gio's work on the Chekere. A friend has told me that the Cuban Chekere differs from its African cousin, and in many ways is easier to play. Is this true?

Simon B
Simon B

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Oct 12, 2002 6:38 pm

:D Hi Simon ...I have been making Chekeres for about 20 years. The only difference I know is what materials are used. In Africa and Cuba they use more natural articles such as wood pieces,certain types of wooden beads. I have always used "pony" or 'barrel beads".(their plastic),but have a very bright sound depending on the amount you put on the gourd,which is a science of weight and sound,in itself. The gourds also differ. From Soft to very hard,depending where you get them from. Check out the Banda Brothers sight for their style of Chekeres. Mine are made to order. Orisha type or special color combinations in a series of designs. Price range is from 65.oo on up to 150.oo for an Agbe.....At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA.... ;)
JohnnyConga

Return to Other instruments