Vintage Cuban Bongo On Ebay (Vergara)

Sell your intruments here, or post up any bargains you come across for sale.
Forum rules
Sell your own gear here, or post up any links to sales of percussion instruments.
KEEP IT POSITIVE PLEASE, SAVE ANY NEGATIVITY TO PRIVATE MESSAGE.

Vintage Cuban Bongo On Ebay (Vergara)

Postby RitmoBoricua » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:49 am

RitmoBoricua

Re: Vintage Cuban Bongo On Ebay (Vergara)

Postby Thebreeze » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:55 am

Those Bongos have a tremendous potential for restoring!!! Two new heads, a little cleaning up and you have a great set of Bongos. Looks like they are also solid shells. What a nice set of Bongos. Thanks for the FYI on these.
Thebreeze

Postby RitmoBoricua » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:31 am

Yes a very nice looking set of bongos. Although I put Vergara on the subject line I think they could be Requenas but anyway a fantastic set that seems to be in pretty good shape for it's age. Happy bidding.
RitmoBoricua

Postby congabluedog » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:41 pm

Well I can't say I thank you for posting because I already had my eye on them and was trying to get them. Now the competition is greater! Anyway, they do look nice. I have a very similar set that has been identified by Cuco and then Dario as Vergara. It is one of the drums talked about in previous posts. However, I am getting mixed info on this one and am also hearing that it is Requena. My understanding was that solid shell was Vergara and stave was Requena. I am trying to get more info but regardless of the maker, they look beautiful. Congabluedog
congabluedog

Postby RitmoBoricua » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:29 pm

You right congabluedog solid shell "Vergara", obviously this set is solid not stave. I think the wing nuts and the rest of the hardware remind me of some "Requena" bongos I have seen in the past. This is the kind of set if they were mine I would not change too much about it besides cleaning the hardware, mounting some thin calf or goat skin and some varnish. A ridiculous handsome set for sure.
RitmoBoricua

Postby Thebreeze » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:01 pm

congabluedog...... I am out of the bidding now. Can't afford to continue. All my best to you on it.
Thebreeze

Postby congabluedog » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:00 pm

Thanks Thebreeze, although I am sorry you are out of the bidding. If it goes too high I can't get it either. In fact, I will be posting some of my drums soon. I have been stalling but I really have to let some things go. I love every drum I have but really have too many. I have been working a lot more on drum set and banjolele of all things. Congas will always be my first love though. Anyway thanks for the wishes. Jacqui
congabluedog

Postby Omelenko1 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:49 pm

They look like a Candido Requena set. Is true that Vergara made solid Caoba bongos, Vergara didn't make hardware, he had a welding shop in Havana's Chinese district make it. Candido Requena for the most part, made stave bongos out of Cuban Cedro wood, Requena made his own hardware and this looks 100% like his. This particular set looks like solid staves and it's probably one of the best I've seen. Nice thin head on the macho (pergamino) and this old guy will sound like no other. I'm out (not bidding). Who ever gets them (go Jacki) will get a piece of Cuban percussion history. They are also nice and big, making them very desirable.

Dario
Omelenko1

Postby RitmoBoricua » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:11 am

Thanks for the historical information Dario, as always priceless.
RitmoBoricua

Postby Psych1 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:00 am

Go Jacqui. This is the kind of set I usually try to buy but I'm also not bidding this time. Agree they might be Requena. I have 2 & 1/2 Requena bongos now and the hardware does look the same. Requena crowns all seem to have a number stamped into them. Does this one? Also, I once saw a mahogany solid-shell that I was told was made by Requena. But that one was a small bongo with a 6" macho.

Besides sounding great, this is the kind of instrument that I believe will only go up in value over time. If I was bidding on this set I probably would start at $600 and keep going up depending on the action. But, I'm willing to overpay for treasures.
Psych1

Postby congabluedog » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:15 pm

Hi Psych! and Dario. Well, once again a slippery slope as to what is what. I know what I believe at this point but don't want to talk to much since I am interested in the drum. To me Vergara or Requena or any solid shell Cuban is a great find and a valuable drum with history. I mean is a solid shell more valuable because it is Vergara instead of Requena? And if so why? If Vergara did not make his hardware he could have had Requena do a few for him. If Requena did the hardware, he would still # them I would think. Anyway...There is someone out there who I am pretty sure if he sees this thread he will go after them , so I am not holding my breath. If it is meant to be......Take care, Jacqui
congabluedog

Postby RitmoBoricua » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:00 am

congabluedog wrote: Anyway...There is someone out there who I am pretty sure if he sees this thread he will go after them , so I am not holding my breath. If it is meant to be......Take care, Jacqui

You better believe that there is a bunch of someones paying close attention to the auction.
A set like that does not go un-noticed specially since I am pretty sure someone requested
pictures of the center block bolts inside the shell and there are no cracks, amazing. Coming
Monday I do not what is going to worth more half an ounce of gold or them bongos. :arrow: $$$ :arrow: :shock:
RitmoBoricua

Postby congabluedog » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:42 pm

That was me who requested those pics. I tgought he was going to email them though.
congabluedog

Postby RitmoBoricua » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:36 pm

congabluedog wrote:That was me who requested those pics. I tgought he was going to email them though.

That was a good move. Happy bidding.
RitmoBoricua

Postby RitmoBoricua » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:56 pm

With shipping included they went for over $800.00.
RitmoBoricua

Next

Return to INSTRUMENTS FOR SALE