Artisan Shekeres - Handcrafted for percussionists

Sell your intruments here, or post up any bargains you come across for sale.
Forum rules
Sell your own gear here, or post up any links to sales of percussion instruments.
KEEP IT POSITIVE PLEASE, SAVE ANY NEGATIVITY TO PRIVATE MESSAGE.

Artisan Shekeres - Handcrafted for percussionists

Postby slinginit » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:36 pm

These are the first few of the "Burst Series" I'm assembling. Taking cues from burst finishes on guitars and drums, I'm creating a line of shekeres geared toward drummers and perussionists who may want something different. Very eye-catching, these are functional instruments and I'm doing my best to raise the craftsmanship bar on these. Details for each one below. I've been making shekeres for over 17 years and endeavor to create instruments that I couldn't afford when I was a student.

Many new desings ahead; custom ideas always welcome. Thanks for looking! :)
Attachments
Picture 158.jpg
Picture 159.jpg
Picture 168.jpg
Picture 170.jpg
slinginit

Re: Artisan Shekeres - Handcrafted for percussionists

Postby slinginit » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:39 pm

Cobalt Burst: $55 shipped SOLD

Inspired by blue fade/burst finishes, this shekere features 3 different kinds of blue faded into a bright center. There are 30 leads, 12 double-bead rows totalling 720 beads.

Collar and hem made from gold/beige nylon cord; net made from nylon twine for durability and strength.

Functional instrument with adjustable tension at bottom and solid bottle gourd.

Gourd is strong, light weight, and easy to hold. Plenty of slap space on the bottom. Stands at 12" with a solid 10" diameter chamber. Most gourds with a chamber that large stand taller but the shape of this is shorter with ample handling. Think "bowling ball" for size reference on this gourd.

NOTE: Few of the bottle gourds I get are strong enough for a shekere. This is a very unique gourd with a brighter resonant sound.

Stained on outside with golden oak and interior darkened with mahogany; two coats of polyurethane seals and protects. Very nice amber glow behind the blue beaded net. Surface texture looks like weathered leather - very intriguing.
Last edited by slinginit on Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 6 times in total.
slinginit

Postby slinginit » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:46 pm

Honey Gold Burst SOLD

Inspired by blue fade/burst finishes, this shekere features deep amber and topaz faded into a dark yellow, light gold, and champaign beads. There are 30 leads, 12 double-bead rows totalling 720 beads.

Collar and hem made from gold/beige nylon cord; net made from nylon twine for durability and strength.

Gourd is strong, solid, medium weight, and easy to hold. Plenty of handle and slap space on the bottom. Stands at 14" with a solid 10" diameter chamber.

Stained on outside with dark walnut with additional darker layers added to top and bottom creating a faded burst look on the gourd. Interior darkened with walnut all producing a very caramely earthy look to this gourd. Two coats of polyurethane seals and protects. Very nice amber glow in the center behind the net. Surface texture on this gourd is very intriguing on its own.
Last edited by slinginit on Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
slinginit

Postby slinginit » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:50 pm

Summer Green Burst SOLD

Inspired by green fade/burst finishes and lush summer growth, this shekere features 3 different kinds of green faded into a bright center. There are 30 leads, 12 double-bead rows totalling 720 beads.

Gourd is strong, light weight, and easy to hold. As usual, I leave plenty of slap space on the bottom. Stands at 12" with a solid 10" diameter chamber. Most gourds with a chamber that large stand taller but the shape of this is shorter with ample handling. Think "bowling ball" for size reference on this gourd.

NOTE: Few of the bottle gourds I get are strong enough for a shekere. This is a very unique gourd with a medium-bright resonant sound.

Stained on outside with colonial maple and interior darkened with mahogany; two coats of polyurethane seals and protects. Deep burnt orange and brooding amber behind the green beaded net. Surface texture looks like weathered leather
Last edited by slinginit on Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
slinginit

Postby slinginit » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:54 pm

The Jester SOLD

Gourd stands ~13-14" tall and ~9-10" diameter. Solid, strong, thick gourd that's comparable in size with standard Toca/LP shekeres.

Light golden oak stain over solid gourd for a glowing color underneath transparent ruby red/deep purple/sun gold beads. There are 30 leads (from collar), 11 double-bead rows at 60 beads/row totalling 660 beads. Collar and hem made of strong nylon cord; net assembled from strong nylon twine. Materials selected for their strength and durability.

Colors are very festive and came together as a "happy accident" to quote Bob Ross. Reminds me of a jester's hat.

Good handle and plenty of slap space on the bottom. Very bold and striking contrasts and very comfortable to play.
Last edited by slinginit on Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:34 pm, edited 6 times in total.
slinginit

Postby ABAKUA » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:42 pm

Very interested in the Cobalt one (blue). Would you consider shipping international? To Sydney Australia?
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby slinginit » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:05 pm

Hi Abakua!

Thank you so much for your interest! :-) I could find out how much it would cost to ship to Australia and get back with you in the next day. It might be another $25-$30 on top but hopefully it's more reasonable. :-/ I factor about $10 parcel post for US shipping in my posted prices above but would be happy to find out. The last thing I shipped to Australia was a pair of Zildjian hi hats which weighed significantly more and required some funky packaging plus insurance ($58 shipping). One saving grace here is that I can use a conventional box and the shekere itself doesn't weigh that much (definetly not bronze).

Cheers!
slinginit

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:04 am

Thanks, that would be great. Can you do custom color requests? Like a red with white? and also a dark blue to light blue to white, similar to this one:

ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby slinginit » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:13 pm

Yes! Sent you a PM with more details!
slinginit

Postby slinginit » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:55 pm

Only one left!! Come 'n' get it while it's hot!! :wink:

Thanks so much for the positive response everybody!! I'm working on a few custom orders, then more designs will follow.

I will continue with new colors in the "burst series" along with some new inspirations.
slinginit

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:13 pm

Check out this progress pic of one Matt has custom made for me based on my requests.
Yemaya:
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby KidCuba » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:20 pm

Looks good!
Triple Pulse Conga Practice- http://www.larumbero.com
KidCuba

Postby slinginit » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:50 pm

Thanks guys!

Striped one still available.

I'm working on a custom order right now for Abakua. After that's complete, I have new color creations in store.
slinginit

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:57 pm

Guys, 'slinginit' aka Matt, is a top craftsman & fantastic communicator. Keeping me up to date with progress pics, and receptive to ideas & input.
The second of my Chekere is looking fantastic so far, once have closer to complete pics will share, and my third design is completed, waiting on Matt's approval & ideas/feedback/suggestions.
Dont hesitate to contact him should you have an interest in your own custom made Chekere or on one of his several beautifully design color 'burst' series.
Clear, Smoked & Opaque beads available in almost every color imaginable, and high quality gorgeous beads. :D

ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby slinginit » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:49 pm

Thank you so much for the kind words, Abakua. I'll be sending you a photo very soon of the latest progress. There are in fact two shekeres still available: the jester (ruby/gold/purple) and cobalt burst. I've reposted pictures above of the cobalt. Cobalt burst is $55 shipped in the CONUSA and Jester is $50 shipped. If someone is interested in purchasing both, then I will combine shipping and bundle them for $100 shipped (CONUSA). International shippers please send me a PM. I will try to find the best price possible for shipping abroad.

Cheers!
slinginit

Next

Return to INSTRUMENTS FOR SALE