JOHNNY CONGA videos & photos

One thread per person please. Feel free to share with us your photos and video clips from your gigs, jams, rumbas, etc etc. No random clips or images, this is a section for our members to post up and promote their own projects and adventures.
Forum rules
One thread per person please. Feel free to share with us your photos and video clips from your gigs, jams, rumbas, etc etc. No random clips or images, this is a section for our members to post up and promote their own projects and adventures.
Lets keep it positive.

Re: JOHNNY CONGA videos & photos

Postby umannyt » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:46 am

JohnnyConga wrote:Here is the 15 piece funk band I work with called TYPE A at a fundraiser for the drummer Kurt Kolstad...who has been battling cancer for the past 3 years...we play the Tower of Power tune "What is Hip!...."JC" Johnny Conga

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PORGJTY7XyI

JohnnyConga,

Sorry to hear about your drummer Kurt Kolstad battling cancer for several years now. Cool cover, you guys, especially your rhythm section and more specifically you on congas, Kurt on drums and your horn section!

Not that there's something wrong with it, but I'm a little surprised that a lady is singing the lead vocals on this song. She sings it on the same original key as TOP and I'm sure that it's much easier for her. For a guy, you have to be a tenor, even a high tenor, to do so.

"What Is Hip?" is one of my favorite Tower Of Power songs, a song which I myself used to sing with one of my previous cover bands and still sing when I'm doing 1-man band gigs using minus-one back tracks. My current, fairly-new cover band still has to learn this song, along with "You're Still A Young Man".

Admittedly, it's a challenge singing lead vocals and simultaneously playing congas on "What Is Hip?". For one, I can't be as emotive or soulful as I'd like on the vocals.

If it's not asking for too much, do you mind if you share with me the rudiment(s) you use on the congas for this song? I'd greatly appreciate it. I just want to compare notes with you.

Thanks in advance,
umannyt

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:01 pm

Here i am with a local Seattle band called the Yoginis....to go straight to my conga solo look for the CIRCLE ON THE PLAY BAR,, and clik on the little circle and it will start where my conga solo starts...then Eekamon a musician from Africa just walks on stage and starts to do some vocal improvisation... it wasnt a great gig that night(problems with the drummer) but you can chek me out if nothing else... http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/4035988 Tks..."JC" Johnny Conga
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed May 05, 2010 7:35 pm

This is a recording session I did..the sound(turn it up a bit) aint the best but u can hear what im doing on it....."JC" Johnny Conga

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_yeC6Re ... a966cff0b7
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:42 am

Here are some pics I recently was able to scan and download from my Miami days with my Comparsa and my Grupo Origenes Rumba ensemble. The first one was a day gig at the Historical Museum of Miami..when a group of people were walking onto the grounds we would start playing...Im the one on the far right with my Junior requinto...also on the far right in the second one as well...Johnny Conga

image0-8-2010-09-11.jpg

image0-9-2010-09-11.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:48 am

Do you guys recognize the guy on the left?....well if you guessed Kevin Ricard with hair your right...We all had hair back then..this was the group Kevin and I put together called Roots of Rhythm...and this is 1980 at the old Comeback Inn in Venice Beach,California..my brother in the middle in the first pic is Hector Serrano...the other group members were Jerry Angel on drums, Vince on tumbadora, Johnny Crespo standing playing clave, Hector on timbales, Im on quinto, and Kevin in the middle..
image0-1-2010-09-12.jpg

image0-2=2010-09-12.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby CongaTick » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:18 pm

JC, What an unbelievably rich photo archive you possess. I hope you have plans for sharing publicly. A coffee-table style book of photo's, "JOHNNY CONGA'S PICS: A rich visual archive of Latin percussionists and their bands"
CongaTick

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:35 pm

My most memorable gigs was performing at Carnegie Hall and Madison Square Garden in New York city...outside of playing many major Concert Halls, Theaters around the world...Johnny Conga
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:45 pm

Well I have about 10-11 photo albums of pictures of me for the past 40 + years of gigs...you guys really want to see my photo history?...Johnny Conga
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:57 pm

The Jackson 5 tour i did in 1979 for a month ..this was a test tour for the Victory tour which unfortunately I wasn't involved in...thats Michael with the cup of water, just as I took his picture..as u can see this was before Michael made his physical changes...it was a great tour and Michael was really cool people....Johnny Conga
image0-9.jpg

image0-10.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:00 pm

Here I am in concert with Sergio Mendes & Brasil 77 with my Louis Zamora hand made Mexican congas...Johnny Conga
IMG_0015.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:03 pm

Here I am in the back on the left with Tommy Harris & The Upsetters Germany 1971...Johnny Conga
image0-8.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:04 pm

I got a lot more if you really want to see my pictorial history...Johnny Conga
JohnnyConga

Postby bongosnotbombs » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:08 pm

Yeah, post up Johnny!
bongosnotbombs

Postby Joseph » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:24 pm

I second that motion.
Great and rare pics.
Post away!
Joseph

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:45 pm

Ok here are 3 bands I was a member of in the late 60's...unfortunately I never got to record with these bands..i was usually at the time 2 or 3 call for the gig as I was only 16 17 and just starting to make a name of myself in NY city...I might have had a different career, (but it is what it is), had I not left the city in 1976 to join Sergio Mendes(which turned out to be the gig from hell)...and that's another story in my book "Rhythm makes my Heart Beat" that I am writing now...
These were 3 of the first bands i was in at the time-Joe Panama, Gil Suarez & The Hi-latins, the Latin Jazz Quintet(no photo available) and The Latinaires with my old friend Louis Small from the Bronx.
Joe Panama was my first bandleader when I was just 15/16 years old...he wouldn't rehearse without a bottle of wine on his piano..he was good people and we got along. I heard he is now playing piano on Wall St at the McDonalds lounge..
Gil Suarez(who is still around today and playing with his Charanga in NYC is 'good people' and always treated me right). I only did about 4 or 5 gigs.I took the place of "Lefty" Maldonado who was drafted for Vietnam(never seen or heard since)..and then I got drafted not long after him. If you look closely you will see a very young Orestes Vilato and Pete Bonet as well(another ol friend)...
The Latinaires with Louis Small that too I only did 4 or 5 gigs with before i went into military service in 1968...Louis is still around today and has worked with Ritchie Havens and others...you asked for it!...here it comes...Johnny Conga
panama_joe~_explosive_101b.jpeg
panama_joe~_explosive_101b.jpeg (33.81 KiB) Viewed 9274 times

Hi Latins.jpg

The Latinaires.jpg
The Latinaires.jpg (48.28 KiB) Viewed 9274 times
JohnnyConga

PreviousNext

Return to *** PHOTOS/VIDEO CLIPS OF YOUR GIGS/JAMS ***