New to timbales

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

New to timbales

Postby congavalde » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:43 pm

Hi all,

I am new to timables and am excited to learn. What are good resources to learn?

One other question that I am thinking is: how common is it to be seated while playing the timbales? I am thinking of getting a base/kick drum with it and wonder if people do this?

Thanks.
congavalde

Re: New to timbales

Postby bengon » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:43 pm

It's not very common to play timbales sitting. Usually if somebody is playing timbal and using a bass drum they stand. However, it is becoming very common for the timbal player to also play drum set and timbales simultaneously, in which they would sit.

That being said, there's no reason not to. It might be awkward ergonomically but I'm sure people have done it.
bengon

Postby rhythmrhyme » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:08 pm

Congamasterclass.com http://sub.congamasterclass.com/ actually has some good video's for starting out. It's not the main focus of the site, and you could master what's on there in a month or two, but the info is well sourced and a good start.

You can also play a bass drum standing up - need to adjust the pedal from what you might be used to as a kit player, bring it lower to the ground, but lots of fab timbalero's do.
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby RetroVintageDrummer » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:12 am

How to Play Latin American Rhythm Instruments by Humberto Morales and Henry Adler is generally considered to be the "Bible" of latin percussion educational books. It's an old book but is still in print. I guess that just goes to show how good it really is.

-AndyG
RetroVintageDrummer

Return to Timbales