Calf heads Versus Plastic Question

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Calf heads Versus Plastic Question

Postby Anonimo » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:35 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Re: Calf heads Versus Plastic Question

Postby jesse_velazquez » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:17 pm

Leedy, am going to have to agree with you. I have been playing timbales since i was 6 i am now 29 years old, this whole time i have used sythetic skins. About 2 months ago my wife got me a pair of slingerland timbales, they have the Humberto Morales skins on them, the sound is amazing on them with calf skin, the hembra sounds wonderful and it sounds good when i play with my band and when i play to pre-recorded music as well. Also, the LPs with the calf skin that i recieved from you sound so much better with the stern tannings, i realize now that the plastic skins are just noisy and overbearing.
jesse_velazquez

Re: Calf heads Versus Plastic Question

Postby RetroVintageDrummer » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:39 am

I have been playing plastic for some time and am finally going to switch to skin for the brass LP Palisades Park timbales that I just acquired. I was a drum set player first and loved the sound of calfskin on the resonant head of my bass drum. I never really loved the sound of the Remo Renaissance Ambassador heads on my new 13 14 brass tito puente LPs. They actually choked the sound and sounded dead to me.

-AndyG
RetroVintageDrummer

Return to Timbales