Timbales Size's and applications

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Timbales Size's and applications

Postby Anonimo » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:59 am

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Last edited by Anonimo on Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonimo

Re: Timbales Size's and applications

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:23 pm

Excellent points brother. The market has pushed percussionist to use lage timbales which may not be ideal for the sized group or the rooms they play in. Large timbales and timbales made of steel are actualy too loud and lack balance with the typical Latin drum section and hand percussion instruments that should all be dynamicly balanced. You know how much I love vintage American drum company timbales like Leedy, Rogers, Gretsch, Slingerland , Gon Bop's and also old Premier timbales from England . All my timbales are brass shell 13" & 14 " from the 1960's. I never cared for the crude LP design and those that copied the same design flaws as LP. Do you know any horn players that play a steel horn ? NO ! If the music volumes are loud and the band is large, thats what microphones and sound syatems are there for ~ sound re inforcement to balance the band. Drummers should think as musicians and not compete to be the loudest drummers on stage. I do use a 15" timbale as an add on to my set to create a melodic 3 drum set up. Most timbaleros using large timbales are tuning the drums to the range of smaller timbales, but that only chokes the heads tonal voice and they use crapy thin heads that have many ringy over tones as well as timbale shells with to much ringy over tones. The drum companies are pushing these crapy drums onto the market and artist are using them and endorsing them because there are no quality alternatives to represent a better Timbale. ( I guess I will have to make my own model for you all ! ? ) :lol:
Ernesto Pediangco

Re: Timbales Size's and applications

Postby RetroVintageDrummer » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:22 am

13/14 best for any band that consist of 8-10 musicians.
14/15 best for large bands that consist of 12-18 musicians.
15/16 deep shell timbales ( paila Charangeras) made for what is called charangas these drums sound deeper and were designed to play Rhythms Like Danzon and pachanga Rhythms
9/10 what is call timbalitos or Paila those drums are made with two purpose in mind. 1) as a soloing Drum 2) the original way as a metal bongo.
John Dolmayan Timbale and similar type sets are made for affects sizes 6/8 do not produce a true timbale sound. You only get minor affects of a timbales rim shots and muffle sounds
Pan timbales these come in numerous sizes 13,14,and 15, these are designed for the Use with drum Kits to give the affect of a timbales drum set.

And yes Ernesto please do!

-AndyG
RetroVintageDrummer

Return to Timbales