Best heads for old L.P's

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Re: Best heads for old L.P's

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:38 am

leedy2 wrote:Hey Thomas
How are you ? Did not look at heading but same applys to any timbales. Calf or goat for a set of timbales the proper skin is calf goat is no good for timbales it is to thick.The Remo Ambassadors are the best for timbales or 2or 3 ply plastic.The Diplomats are to thick they are made more for marching drums. By sanding drum head what you doing is down grading the sound quality of the skin.The none coated are better skins do to that they are don't produce so much ring as to the coated ones.

As to timbales you brought from me sorry to here they got to you out of round the must have throne box in shipping. Skins; you have to be very careful with calf skin if in a humid place skin they will detune and go bad on you due to humitity. Best thing untune after use and store in a dry place .Or put a light bulb in drum must be totally untuned that will stretch skin out tricks of trade skins will say like new. I have drum's that have skins totally original from 1947 and have been used on many occations thoughout my years.Years ago when head were used because there were no plastic head's we had a life spand on a head being used 5 day a week of about 3 weeks before they broke not because of having tunning room but of ware and tear.

Diplomat skins for timbales are to to thin Use ambassadors much better.To save thread put grease not oil helps with tune and untunning.Rim's: on Leedy made by Slingerland, rims were 1'' in height the Leedy made early 1947-1954 by Conn had rims 1/2 like many timbales made today so rim shots and rolls (Abanicos) are easyer to make.
Correction : Remo Giplomats are thin, Ambassadors are med ( I use these since thin plastic is ringy & has little warmth of tone ), Emporeres are heavier & usualy seen on floor toms. I feel a bright steel shell needs toning down, brass is warmer & thinner plastic can be controlled for tone. No one mentions TONE asw if the cheap inport heads that came on the drums were the prefered sound ?!, Thoses cheap heads stretch easily & become dead very quickly, you will notice when you removed a used cheap head that it becomes a huge bowl shaped dent. This head is DEAD. My skins last 3 years or 10 years depending on playing conditions ( I do not pound calf heads ). Cheap original herads last under a year before I replace it. I experiments w/ heads & select the ones I like...not what the manufacturer throws on them. I have a few sets of tims & use one for Salsa & one for latin Jazz & other accoustic situations. I ave used TOO THIN of calf & sprat painted clear paint as an experiment & it sounded good still w/ o climate issues causing them to go slack, I do not mind tweaking my drums when they sound so dammed good w/ calf. Cheap drums & top of line drums sound to similar w/ cheap heads.
Today I am retired and I see many guy that put different skin's from plastic to goat as you mentioned yet not realizing that they are not getting the proper sound . And to prove that to your self take your timbales and stand in middle of room or dance hall you are playing and have someone else pay you drum's see how you like the sound they produce. Skins make a major differance when playing traditional salsa for Rock and affects are all something different. I posted a photo of skins 1951 and has been used many times and still in excellent condition.what do think for 60 years and still kicking ?
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby Guilo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:36 am

Where can one buy the rap around thr rim skins?

leedy2 wrote:
Bongobilly wrote:Hello: I was wondering what is the best head's to use on early brass shell timbale's. THANK'S.

The best if for timbales if it the one that I have seen photo of you with a set of slingerland I recommend calf heads .BUT there is one obstical with using calf heads they are expensive there for you must take care of them.

1) Rapped around rim or buy premounted
2) Care for skin keep in dry place
3) Tune and detune when use
4) Do not use dows on these skin use regular timbales sticks or drum sticks with rounded edges
If all of this is done you will skin's for a long time and the best sounding timbales you have ever heard if you can not tend to all of this on a constant bases then I recommend you to get Remo heads ambasador's or any brand 2 or 3 ply plastic.
Sorry did not note Lp same applys just have to buy premounts if calf heads so desires if plastic then follow same rule
Guilo

Postby Anonimo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:43 am

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby VJBaros » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:44 am

Can calf skin be applied to LP Prestige Timbales?
VJBaros

Charlie Tappan

Postby vibeguy56 » Wed May 23, 2012 6:57 am

I just read about HOW Charlie Tappan died. I am saddened as I was a student of his until 1977. He was the person who changed the direction of my life along with hundreds of others.

CHARLIE TAPPAN was the main author of the BUDDY RICH drum method with Henry Addler.

CHARLIE TAPPAN was the one who suggested to Regal to make nylon tip drum sticks

CHARLIE TAPPAN was the original Radio King repair man before people were seeing them as vintage drums.

CHARLIE TAPPAN used to tuck the heads for ALL of the big name Latin drummers - even when he was at Lou Rose in NJ.

CHARLIE TAPPAN also was responsible for the main modifications and design changes to the Rogers DYNASONIC snare drum, regarless of what someone from Philly tells you

When they gave him a testimonial dinner, the guests included Louis Belson, Roy Burns, Tito Puente and many other big name people

Charlie used to give me drum lessons and put me a the end of the day so his 45 minute lessons often went 1 1/2-2 hours. He rebuilt drums for me at little profit and was a great guy.

He was not the one who told me about the things I listed above - he rarely if ever spoke of what he did or how Count Basie would come over to play cards when he was in Lakewood. The people Charlie touched were too many to even count, yet he wqas never given the recognition he deserved. May he rest in peace.
vibeguy56

Previous

Return to Timbales