best cowbells

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Alex » Sat Nov 17, 2001 2:43 pm

I believe that they must have in and market better bells than the LP, can mention some?
Alex

Postby tamboricua » Sat Nov 17, 2001 6:41 pm

Have you heard of J.C.R. bells! The best!

Hope this helps!

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Nov 18, 2001 3:35 pm

Besides JCR's being the BEST,you may want to try a little known manufacturer called JUGGS. they actually make very good bells,but nobody knows about them because they are not promoted and are hard to find for some reason......JC JOHNNY CONGA.....
JohnnyConga

Postby Alex » Sun Nov 18, 2001 7:11 pm

How about gon bops?
Alex

Postby tamboricua » Mon Nov 26, 2001 7:14 pm

Gon Bops is no longer in business. They were purchase by Timba Percussion, for a while now! I don't know if they have cowbells in their product line. Check out:

http://www.timbapercussion.com

Hope this helps!

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby REQUINTOFUNK » Thu Feb 14, 2002 11:25 pm

JCR HALF MOON BELLS ARE AND HAVE THE BEST SOLID SOUND FOR MANY TYPES OF RHYTHMS OR STYLES OF MUSIC.GOOD LUCK.
REQUINTOFUNK77@HOTMAIL.COM

"SI NO SABES,NO TE METAS,
SI NO HAY CLAVE,RESPETA"
REQUINTOFUNK

Postby 120-1016659394 » Wed Mar 20, 2002 9:39 pm

jcr? i have never herd of that brand were are they avalable?
120-1016659394

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Mar 21, 2002 1:36 am

:D You might be able to find some JCR bells at "CasaLatina", it is a Music and Instrument store in" El Barrio",New York City. You can find Casa Latina online.hope it helps..at yoaur Service JC JOHNNY CONGA. ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby tamboricua » Fri Mar 22, 2002 7:21 pm

Guitar Center carries JCR bells these days.

Hope this helps!

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby 120-1016659394 » Wed Mar 27, 2002 4:41 pm

really. guitar center!!!
i'll go check it out and tell you if i like them
i have a remo cow bell and it sucks it gets a realy pingy sound

P.S. i live in michigan
120-1016659394

Postby Raymond » Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:01 am

JCR Percussion. (Jose Cali Rivera is the name.. he has a workshop in the Bronx in New York. His cowbell bells could be obtained by visiting his workshop in the Bronx or in some of the authorized dealers. If you want to give him a call... check information in the Bronx under JCR Percussion). Although they are some dealers in the US, I have noticed for example in Sam Ash that their inventory of JCR cowbells is limted and not for the serious players. I do not know if it is the same with Guitar Center.

They are the most used cowbells in salsa. However, be aware that JCR cowbells are all handmade and two "same looking" bells will not sound alike. Also, they are sort of fragile and less durable than the "mass produced" LP bells.
Raymond

Postby 120decibels » Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:24 pm

For anyone in the Washington D.C. area, Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center in Wheaton, MD carries JCR bells. I recently got two JCR hand bells and one mountable bell from them. They sound incredible and put all of my LP bells to shame. The sound is much darker and richer in overtones than the LP bells. It's like comparing old K Zildjian cymbals with some of the crappy cheap cymbals that are out there today.

Zach
120decibels

Postby franc » Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:23 am

does any one knows if in puerto rico, one can find jcr cowbells????
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby Raymond » Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:34 pm

In Puerto Rico, you could find JCR cowbells in PURE SOUND and TIMBAS ISMAEL in Bayamon. Also, a place name MUSIC SOUND in Caguas is bringing them. PURE SOUND is located in the street/avenue where Yiyi Motors is located in Road #2 that is called the "entrance to Hermanos Melendez' Hospital. It is a couple of blocks down from Yiyi in that street/avenue that ends/begins with Road #2. TIMBAS ISMAEL is in Sierra Bayamon. That is, in a road that is also connected to Road #2 in Bayamon. As a matter of fact, TIMBAS ISMAEL is the next right after the Yiyi Motors when you are in Road #2 from Bayamon to Toa Baja. (There is I believe a Pitusa in the corner of that road). Once you make that turn it should be about three blocks. Watch out because is another street that "intersects" with that road.

Technically, based on what Cali's of JCR once told me. PURE SOUND is the official distributor but he is selling to some out there. (Pure Sound has the best prices).

The other place MUSIC SOUND in Caguas started ordering directly from Cali and got some bells and beaters but they were gone fast. Can't recall the name of the street but is close to the Transportacion Center in downtown Caguas. (Ask for the famous Panaderia Asturiana and MUSIC SOUND is in the previous block on the same street).

For your info, there could be some "old bells" at Casa Margarida in Hato Rey, leftovers from past times but is rare.

Also, I do my rounds at these stores to check what is new and always check for the bells. During December all those places were out of them with the exception of Pure Sound who had some bongo bells. You have to check with the stores when they expect a shipment. These cowbells go fast.... (Personally, I have about 5 timbale, including cha-chas, and about 10 bongo bells. Wondering why so many....it is the difference in tones and I like to have the variety).

Pure Sound also bring cowbells from Osiris who used to work with Cali of JCR, depending on the bell they are worth trying....

Good luck in your search!

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby franc » Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:02 am

thanks raymond for the infomatiion . i will check it out. i will look in the yellow pages for their phone number. quiero conseguir una campana de bongo y otra de timbal. creo q hain diferente tamano. cuales me recomendarias??? tu pana., franc
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Next

Return to Timbales