Cinquillo

... post here historical info of any other musical instrument non specified in the above forum (suggest here to open a new forum!)..

Postby zaragenca » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:26 pm

I have listened to the track and the Cinquillo is 'right there' with the accentuation in the first note,(as it is showed in the, 'Paso Doble', also),..I said that the Cinquillo went to some cosmetics change before being incorporated into the cuban,music...go back and see the post for youself..But this is the root of what came to Cuba with the spanish musicians.Dr. Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists
zaragenca

Postby goingquinto » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:30 pm

what do you consider cinquillo? this is what I call cinquillo x-xx-xx-

Maybe we are talking apples and oranges. I really do not hear cinquillo in that recording.
goingquinto

Postby goingquinto » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:38 pm

and on several recordings of paso doble,,,,,, it is duple time march

it seems to go x-xxx-xx, which agian, is not what I recognize as cinquillo.

I truly believe that we are just talking about 2 completely different things. You seem to be very sure of yourself, I guess we just can't figure out what you are trying to say.
goingquinto

Postby goingquinto » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:40 pm

goingquinto

Postby davidpenalosa » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:14 pm

Z,
I'm afraid if that's your evidence, then you failed to make your case for a Spanish claim to cinquillo. There are plenty of examples of the real deal in Afro-Cuban folkloric music, as well as music from West, Central and East Africa. None of those examples contain any so-called "cosmetics".
-David
davidpenalosa

Re: Cinquillo

Postby tjaderized » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:32 pm

Besides all considerations of musical transitions and development, the cinquillo - on a purely structural level - can be seen as an embellishment of the tresillo:

x--x--x- tresillo
x-xx-xx- cinquillo

In slower tempos, as in the danzon, the rests between notes in the tresillo are too long to really carry the tempo, the cinquillo works better in such cases.
Besides that, it is a typical form of African or Afro-American rhythmic structurization abd distributed very widely. To reconstruct its historical path from one country and/or musical form to another is subject to quite a bit of speculation, unless there is musical notation of the music. I'd love to see some music examples of the works of the composers Dr. Zaragemca cites.
Last edited by tjaderized on Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike
tjaderized

Previous

Return to Miscellanea of history!