Wikipedia entries on Cuban music

... post here historical info of any other musical instrument non specified in the above forum (suggest here to open a new forum!)..

Wikipedia entries on Cuban music

Postby Thomas Altmann » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:58 am

Hi everybody,

I am currently giving a course on the history of Latin music at the Hamburg conservatory. I have written a couple of treatises for backing up the lectures. In researching the subjects of Rumba and Conga, I found out that there is no way of doing any better than (the English side of) Wikipedia. These articles are excellent, at least for my purpose!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_rumba
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conga_(music)

Who wrote them??

On this occasion I want to thank Barry Cox again for his wonderful contributions on YouTube ...

Greetings,
Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Re: Wikipedia entries on Cuban music

Postby Chtimulato » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:27 pm

Hi.

As far I know, the only way to know the writers is to establish a mail contact. You can then even become "adopted" and "knighted", if you allow me these expressions.
From what I know too, Wikipedia pages may vary at any time, because they can be modified by anybody at any time. The "Conga_(music)" page for instance doesn't open correctly by now, it refers to several items. My son posted once some jokes on a page he wanted to modify, and it lasted a while before they corrected it. And I've often seen modified pages with (obvious) teenager jokes, so one has to be prudent with Wikipedia.
So I suggest you to make a backup of the pages, or to copy/paste them in a wordprocessor to save them, and indicate the date of access in your work.

Sorry I can't help further.

Have a nice day.

Chtimulato
Chtimulato

Postby Thomas Altmann » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:45 pm

Hi Chtimulato,

thanks for your reply. The Conga page opens if you copy the address and paste it in the address field. For some reason, the site program did not include the closing bracket in the link function. Anyway, good idea to download it.

The reason for my query is, I am pretty sure that somebody either from this group, or acquainted with us, is responsible for this. Could have been Barry or George, or the California gang around David P., but I may be wrong ...

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby Chtimulato » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:44 am

Hi.

You're certainly right, it's certainly someone(s) we know, or whom some of us may know.
As I suggested, send a message to Wikipedia and launch a discussion with the guys, and you'll know.
A good friend of mine (my band's drummer) wrote some articles on Wikipedia, and told me they built an interesting discussion group about the theme in question (in this case, it was the Roxy Music page, because he's a "date one" Roxy Music fan).

Versuch's mal, kostet doch nichts.

Chtimulato.
Chtimulato

Postby jorge » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:18 am

Hi Thomas,
That is very interesting, the course you are teaching at Hamburg Conservatory. What goes around comes around. You might want to include some discussion of Jose Manuel (Lico) Jimenez Berroa, who was a black Cuban professor at the Hamburg Conservatory in the early 20th century, and also was my great grandfather. He and his father and brother were among the first black Cubans in Hamburg, and Lico Jimenez was in charge of recruiting students from Latin America and other countries around the world. There are some references on him in the Wiki article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9 ... nez_Berroa
The article by Josephine Wright on Das Negertrio Jimenez listed in the Wiki references is the best published work I have seen, but there is a Cuban musicologist doing a PhD dissertation on him who has some additional info as well. According to my mother, who grew up in Hamburg, all the music by Lico Jimenez that was in Hamburg was destroyed during the war, but el Museo de la Musica in La Habana has copies of a lot of his works, and some by his father Jose Julian Jimenez. I have a lot of other info on him and the Jimenez family, email me at gfj7 at optonline dot net if you are interested. I would love to hear about your course. Also if you happen to run into any additional information on the Jimenez family in Hamburg, I would be extremely interested in hearing about it.
Ache.
jorge

Return to Miscellanea of history!