Cuban ISLA Vid

Let's discuss about the origin and history of this beautiful instrument...

Cuban ISLA Vid

Postby nickpilarski » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:39 am

I just wanted everybody to check this out. Here is new video of ISLA drums being played in cuba by cubans. Mario at ISLA said after a the trip they got an endorsement from Los Rumberos de Cuba as well as many others on the island. Isla drums are now Cuban!

Note: these are new drums and have yet to be broken in.

Check out the vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RCmz8xJRzg
nickpilarski

Re: Cuban ISLA Vid

Postby Chupacabra » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:03 am

Respects go to the players and the fine sounding Islas they are playing!
I have a question that maybe someone can help me with:
These Isla batas are lug tuned, as are are many other traditional hand drums that are built using modern methods. I am curious to find out why they have the rope wrapping around the shell and looped around the mounting plates of the instruments. I've seen this a few times and thought I would finally try to get the answer for it here.
... --- ... ... --- ... ...---...
Chupacabra

Postby ABAKUA » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:09 am

Its been covered here before, it helps to prevent sliding off ones lap while playing and also for decorational purpose giving them a more authentic look. Sonoc was famous for doing it for years with their bata, see below pic:

ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Chupacabra » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:31 am

Thank you for replying Abakua. I was thinking that was the reason but it's always good to get an answer from a qualified source instead of going on assumptions!
... --- ... ... --- ... ...---...
Chupacabra

Postby windhorse » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:01 pm

I ordered a set of them last week. Can't wait until they arrive!
windhorse

Postby bongosnotbombs » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:47 pm

windhorse wrote:I ordered a set of them last week. Can't wait until they arrive!

Right on Dave, I think my set of Isla bata will be ready later this month.
bongosnotbombs

Postby Thomas Altmann » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:24 pm

nickpilarski wrote:I just wanted everybody to check this out. Here is new video of ISLA drums being played in cuba by cubans. Mario at ISLA said after a the trip they got an endorsement from Los Rumberos de Cuba as well as many others on the island. Isla drums are now Cuban!

Nick: In another thread you recommended these batá because they sing. For a moment I considered responding that not everybody wants every drum to sing. I play SONOC's like the ones Abakua posted, and for me, I couldn't think of anything better: I just love the dry and funky sound. I don't like the sound of the LP's for that reason; they have a funny kind of ringing along with their tones and slaps.

But, after seeing and hearing the youtube video, I totally agree with you concerning those ISLA's. They sound like some of the best drums that I have heard in Cuba.

By the way, Cusito was the singer on my presentacion al tambor during my Santo.

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby TONE74 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:51 am

Is it me or are those bata tunned kind of high? Maybe is just that I'm not as familiar with bata as you guys but I prefer mine lower. Is this the usual tunning?
TONE74

Postby Thomas Altmann » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:21 am

@TONE74:

I'm a passionate advocate of the low sounding batá. I would definitely tune the itótele down. The iyá didn't have a fardela, I suppose; so this would would suffice to make the sound of the iyá. But the okónkolo is sweet, sounds like a bell; I like that.

This would be my preference. However, nowadays many drummers tend to tune the batá up, if they can; for instance with hardware-tuned drums. This tuning is hard to obtain on a set of "Havana-style" laced, leather-strung traditional batá. It is a little easier on nylon-rope-tuned batá with triangular, or diamond-shape lacing. The Chinitos seem to use that. Search for Antoine Miniconi on the web. I think he built a set with this system, and they sound (too) high (for me).

I don't think there is anything like a "usual tuning", and I wouldn't want that. Tune your drums the way you like it. There are enough models to be examined on the numerous recordings, old as well as modern.

TA
Thomas Altmann

Postby bongosnotbombs » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:40 am

I also thought they were tuned a little high, I prefer the tuning on that album Afro-Tambores Bata
you so generously provide Thomas.
I think the higher tuning is more modern. That is good insight on how the different tuning methods may
have influenced the sound of the bata over time.
bongosnotbombs

Postby Thomas Altmann » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:14 am

BNB:

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I just have to correct this very quickly: I did not provide the music on the recording; that was either Barry (guarachon63 on this board) on http://esquinarumbera.blogspot.com or Patrice "Patricio" Banchereau (http://echuaye.blogspot.com). All I did was collecting information about the recording (see: http://www.ochemusic.de/artgiro.htm). I understood that Patrice and Barry collaborate a lot, and I have learned so much from their web pages ... I have no idea where they found all the info and footage!

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby bongosnotbombs » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:28 pm

Thomas Altmann wrote:BNB:

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I just have to correct this very quickly: I did not provide the music on the recording; that was either Barry (guarachon63 on this board) on http://esquinarumbera.blogspot.com or Patrice "Patricio" Banchereau (http://echuaye.blogspot.com). All I did was collecting information about the recording (see: http://www.ochemusic.de/artgiro.htm). I understood that Patrice and Barry collaborate a lot, and I have learned so much from their web pages ... I have no idea where they found all the info and footage!

Thomas

Ah your right, it's esquina rumbera that has the download, but you have that excellent article. Anyways, when I receive my bata from Isla, the sound on that album is what I will be trying to tune them to. I know it's going to be a long journey though....
bongosnotbombs

Return to Bata Drums